General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

87 Monte Carlo want start

Old 05-10-2016, 07:54 PM
Default 87 Monte Carlo want start

Need some help I have a 87 Monte Carlo new distributor, cap, spark plugs, module, and timing is good. It's a 350 motor was driving great everyday car i got the module fixed and while driving on of the wires connectd to the distributor cap came out and the car cut off I was flooring it at the time and don't know if that caused an issue but the wire was put back into the side of the distributor cap and it started up fine and drove good. The next day the car wouldn't start I even got a new battery also. If any has any advice I need it.

Thanks

Old 05-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Default Good Luck

Hi Filly,
Is it a factory stock distributor ? Single point ?

Is the distributor locked tight ? Did you double check the connections ? Check ground wire ?
Are you getting spark to your plugs ?

Oh, does your engine still crank ? Can you turn your distributor by hand ? Did you check wires for any breaks/cuts ?

Check back to see what our member's post on your problem...
Good Luck

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-10-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:19 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would make sure the connection that came loose from the distributor is free from any dirt, corrosion etc on both sides of the connection (electrical harness AND prongs in distributor). If you have to, pull the cap back off and make sure the two metal prongs that connect to the wire that came off are BOTH still there and clean. Also make sure that when you have the cap off that the rotor button inside the cap is still intact. I actually bought 2 brand new caps and the rotor button was missing from one and cracked on the other. Please keep us updated and hopefully someone else will post and maybe give you more ideas.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with BB Mike and P343. If you've already replaced the ignition module I would be most suspicious of the wires into distributor or the connector.

Search this Thread