General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

86 monte

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Default 86 monte

im new to the whole monte carlo scene and my buddy is selling his monte and i just had a couple questions. its a 86 h/o 305. its got 85k on it and its auto. the only major thing it needs is a heatercore. what are some things i should look out for? and does anyone have any suggestions/comments/concerns? your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:04 AM
Default RE: 86 monte

not real sure cant remember if that is the year they had the bubbel on the hood in the high out put version or not.

If it is they were nice cars.

I have owned several monte carlos and can honestly say they run great and for a long time if you dont beat them to death to bad.

Im not a light footed drivier but i dont spin the tires ever chance i get .

as far as the 80's model. In genreal they were a decent car. the only things you can make sure to watch out for is the typical rust spots and the lower fenders. and also the bad ground wires that seem to follow and pleg the monte carlos. if they dont have a good ground they will not start for shiza.

also for the most part the heater core is not to tuff to get ot on that car everything is behind the glove box and on the pass. side fire wall. not to bad to do from what i can remeber.

it is a full framed car so as long as there is no rust int eh frameand it is solid you can pretty much build a motor to your liking and the car will take it.
my bracket car was pushing 575Hp to teh rear tires and was about 600 to theflywheel it was a screamer and never even thought of hurting the fram on the 78 it was in.

Good luck and enjoy it if you can get it cheap i would be all over it.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 PM

thanks alot. im gonna pick it up for 1000$ prob. so im looking forward to it.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:46 PM

for a grand your not hurt to bad. if you fix it up and take your time it could be a really nice car for you for a long time to come.

besides the 350 fits right in there with the mounts and a rad changed it could be a real nice sleeper to LOL

Old 04-19-2006, 08:10 PM

awesome. thanks.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:19 AM

n/p
just make sure if you convert it over to getthe hevay duty rad. with the three core . other wise you could run in to heating issues.

I did it on one of my 78's and it suked waiting on the shoulder for it to cool off in the summer time. i did that twice. once ont eh way to the bone yard and once on the way home wiht the ne rad int eh trunk.

think if i would have had the tools i would have been doing on the shoulder of the road to get going LOL

Old 04-20-2006, 10:32 AM

haha. ive been there actually so i know just what your talking about..or when your alternator bites it when your doing 75 in the left lane down interstate 95. thats awesome too.