General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

81 MC

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 07:10 AM
Default 81 MC

most mc's during these years had v6s and some had v8s. im lookn at a 81 mc that im thinkn has a v6 in it, is there anything out there that will help me convert it over to a v8??

Old 07-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Default RE: 81 MC

they are not hard to make v-8s
actuallyaot of them came out with the 305 v-8 in them or the 307 v-8 in them ??

but to convert you need
motor,
tranny,
Radiator out of a v-8 car or have one orderd
drive shaft
mounts
headders are the easiest things to do on those cars

the biggest things is getting the mounts in the right place most of those cars have the holes in the frame already so it is basically a bolt in . But make sure they are in there the right way to save a head ach later

but take the front end off the car to make it easy for you.
then tear out the old motor and tranny and drive shaft
bot the tranny to the new motor or replace it with a freash one or rebuild is a option also. most had the metric tranny so they were not as strong as the 350 tranny. (my fav. and you can build the living crap out of them to handel way more horses then your motor will have unless it is built real strong to)

you will most likely have to get a diffrent drive shaft do to the length diffrences but you can messure that and find out Sometime you get lucky

put the headders on it and run the pipes.
change the fule filter in the line and adda new inline pump get rid of the mechanical pump if you have one they are not as eeficeante from what i have seen.

then re install the rad. in to the car with a new one that can hold the V-8 preferably a 3 core or something like this.
hooke up all the lines.
Wire it up
attach the front clip again and wire it up (snap the plugs back togeather)

start
Break in
Drive the hell out of it.
See that wasent so bad.

But i would sugest that if you are going to go threw all of this to find your self the rear end out of a camaro or a ford 9" and have it made to fit the car also. so it is bullet proof for the street anyway. then if you build the motor you know the rest of the drive line will hold up to it.

Oh and also look in to a MSD ing. the HEI on those cars SUX!!! and carry a extra controll modual in the glove box for it LOL
If it dont start and it dont have spark at the plugs but dose on the coil then it is most likely the issue .
they like to go out when you least need it to happen like when your in a hurry to get to your frends weeding while you have his new brides maid of honnor in the car and your carring the ring for his new bride.

for some reason they just dont understand you had to fix your car and you were not late on puoprouse. LOL
only 15min.