General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2006 Monte Carlo SS & XM Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Default 2006 Monte Carlo SS & XM Radio Antenna

Within the last week, I have purchased a 2006 Monte Carlo SS without the XM Radio. I have the AM/FM 6CD In Dash Changer but on the roof there is what I presume to be an XM radio antenna. Is that something that they put on all Monte Carlo SS vehicles irregardless of whether the XM radio is installed or not?

Old 07-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Default RE: 2006 Monte Carlo SS & XM Radio Antenna

Hello Greeny...

The answer is yes. I also have an 06 Monte with the same radio but I dont have the XM turned on. (Im a sirius listener lol). That antenna is also used for the Onstar functions.

Good luck with the car!

Old 07-08-2006, 11:11 PM

I know that when I push the Band button, only AM or FM comes up leading me to believe that the radio is not XM equipped. Makes me wonder why they would just throw an antenna on the roof unless like you say it serves a dual purpose if you had an XM Radio installed. Onstar if you don't and Onstar and XM if you do. I am a XM radio listener but next year I guess I will have to switch since NASCAR is going Siriuss. GOTTA HAVE MY NASCAR!!

Old 07-16-2006, 03:17 PM

The black antenna on the roof is for onstar only. When I bought my 06 MC it came equipped with onstar and xm radio. The antenna wasnt installed during the test drive and the first 2 days I had the car and the XM still worked fine. The onstar had pretty poor reception. The dealership pulled an antenna off another car and installed it on mine and bam! the onstar worked fine with no change to the xm.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:28 PM

I agree with sciggy in that I believe it's for Onstar. The XM antenna is built into your rear window. If you look there are lines that travel up & down the window, those are the radio antenna. The ones going side to side is the defroster ones.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: cain45

I agree with sciggy in that I believe it's for Onstar. The XM antenna is built into your rear window. If you look there are lines that travel up & down the window, those are the radio antenna. The ones going side to side is the defroster ones.
I might be wrong but I think the XM Antenna is in the upper right hand corner of the front window by the driver's side visor and the FM antenna stretches across from there. It seems like all the lines on back window are the defroster.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:29 PM

I think the Antenna may have something to do with XM for this reason: I know an XM Antenna requires a southern exposure, at times when I am driving south with XM on, and I open the sunroof, the panel covers the antenna and XM reception is lost. As soon as I close the roof just a bit so it is not over the antenna, reception is back to normal. Just my experience.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:00 PM

The antenna on the roof is for both the Onstar and the XM radio (if equipped) the one in the front and back window is for the AM-FM radio and the hands free calling for Onstar...

Old 09-13-2012, 12:16 AM

I have onstar/xm (sharkfin) and some useless antenna off my backwindow wish I could remove. the antenna use to be onstar but now uses the xm antenna I believe.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ha haha this thread is from 2006.

Quick Reply: 2006 Monte Carlo SS & XM Radio Antenna