General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2005 supercharged or 2007 SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
That makes sense. IMO the prices will still continue to fall in the near future if you're not in a huge rush. With the new generation of cars having DI, 6+ speed transmissions, and lots of other new tech, the tail end of the 'old school' stuff probably won't become desirable soon unless it's in a car that's always popular/desirable (like a ws6, V, G8 after Pontiac closed, etc).

The tradeoff is going to be that it'll be harder to find one with reasonable mileage on it as people continue to drive them.

If you're interested in bang for the buck, id also suggest looking at the Pontiac models (GTP or GXP). They're a lot more plentiful and can usually be found for cheaper. Depends how big of a role nostalgia for your 02 monte plays into your decision.
LOL Yea, the 6th gens are gonna be like the 1990 GP is to us today... Nothing special whatsoever.. So get it cause YOU like it, like you said..

Old 10-13-2017, 10:26 AM

I like my 2007 with 30,850 on the clock. Body & Interior are flawless. As far as oil usage I get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. Jiffy Lube Policy anytime in between 5,000 mile changes topping off is free. In 3k miles I used a half quart.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Default 2007 ss

2007 SS is better than the 2005 Supercharged SS. They look better, since Chevy got rid of the hideous 6th gen wavy headlights and droopy front and rear bumpers. Also, don't expect these cars to be valuable in the future. They are nothing but big front wheel drive coupes that were never popular, unlike the beautiful rear drive Monte Carlos of the 1970s and 80s. I would urge anyone to look at the 2007 Impala instead. They are the same car but with 4 doors and better looking. I owned a 6th generation Monte Carlo for 10 years, and the longer I had it the more I hated the looks of it and wished it were an Impala or Grand Prix.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by wolsblood07
2007 SS is better than the 2005 Supercharged SS. They look better, since Chevy got rid of the hideous 6th gen wavy headlights and droopy front and rear bumpers. Also, don't expect these cars to be valuable in the future. They are nothing but big front wheel drive coupes that were never popular, unlike the beautiful rear drive Monte Carlos of the 1970s and 80s. I would urge anyone to look at the 2007 Impala instead. They are the same car but with 4 doors and better looking. I owned a 6th generation Monte Carlo for 10 years, and the longer I had it the more I hated the looks of it and wished it were an Impala or Grand Prix.
Thats such an opinon tho.. I myself think the 6th gens look way better than the 7th..

Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As you can see by the different thoughts in this post, its all a matter of preference and what you think you would like. find 2 and test drive them both, see which one you would think you'd enjoy more. to be honest i think you would like either one, both have pros and cons. And as said, i doubt either will be collectors in the near future. If you're looking for something more fun i said find a different platform that is rear wheel drive. if you're looking for a nice daily like i said either one would be good.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:44 AM

My son works in an Auto Body Shop and tells me the 2002 to 2005 have a tendency to rot under the rear plastic well on both the front and rear side quarter panel. He said Gen 7 GM installed weep holes to alleviate the rotting problem. One reason I went with the Gen 7 besides the LS4 engine.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:10 AM

Second that motion. Pics have been posted here where half the rear quarter panel was gone. Cars aren't supposed to rust with intact paint anymore....