General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: 2004 Monte SS cranks won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Default 2004 Monte SS cranks won't start

First post here. I apologize if this has been covered just point me to the thread.

Purchased a 2004 Monte ss with 80K Saturday in Phoenix. Drove the 90 miles to Tucson no problems.

Sunday washed it, new wipers and put Lucas fuel additive in it.

Monday fine ran great.
Tuesday morning get a half mile from the house and stop at a stop light it dies at the light and wont restart. Cranks but doesn't turn over.

I replaced the crank sensor and alternator and new fuel relay. Crank stronger but still doesn't turn over. No fuel pressure coming from the lines. Could the additive have clogged the lines?

So..

Is the next step change the Fuel Filter. Then if that doesn't work new Fuel Pump?

Any help appreciated and thanks for welcoming to the forum

Old 03-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Sounds like your Fuel Pressure Regulator is going bad. I had a similar issue:

Originally Posted by 04MonteCarloLS
Something similar happened to me about a year ago. Here's what I found out.

I was driving home when the car started to act weird. I continued to drive and finally the engine cut out. I tried starting it 2 times with no luck. Thankfully, no one was on the road.

A buddy of mine came by and tried starting it, and it ended up starting. I drove it home. The next day, I tried to start it with no luck until the 3rd or 4th time. I decided to take it to a mechanic, who found the problem. It turned out to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator leaking gasoline and not keeping a vacuum seal. Once he replaced that, I never had the issue again.

Try seeing if that's the issue.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will try that tomorrow.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I had the same issue a few weeks ago, replaced the fuel filter and MAF sensor. Haven't had an issue since

Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unplug the MAF, see if it fires up. Did you actually check the fuel pressure? Also check for engine codes - although many times it won't detect a failing MAF or crank sensor, in my experience. If there is truly no fuel pressure, check for power at the pump. If it has power but doesn't make any noise when the key is turned on, that could be the issue. There's a hole in the trunk, near the back seat where you can unbolt a cover and access the pump IIRC.