General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

2002 SS problems with aftermark radio and factory speakers W/amp

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Default 2002 SS problems with aftermark radio and factory speakers W/amp

I would like to know why I'm having some distortion coming from factory speakers with amp(no bose) after adding a aftermark JVC av60 cd dvd player? It had better sound with factory radio! PLESE HELP!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 AM

Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.
Please check back to see what our expert stereo tech(s) post on your problem.

Did you do your own install ? How did you connect your wires ? With connector's or just tape ? Did you check your connections ? Could you have blown a speaker or speaker's ? Was the JVC new or used ?

I hope one of our member's responds (Check back & Good Luck)

Old 08-04-2012, 04:40 AM

Yes i did the install myself with the help from a friend that works at a local carstereo business! Yes the JVC is new and i also had them put the harness together with connectors! After the install was done i didnt like the sound so i took to the stereo shop and they told me the speakers needed to be changed because the radio was to powerful. IS THAT TRUE?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Thanks for your reply. How much power did you new unit add to your system ? You also have to consider that your factory speakers are a decade or more old. If your speaker are good, you may just have to add filter's to your system. ?

I'm not a expert on stereo's & amp's, & I hope that when our expert member's read that they can give you some good input, but it sounds like you may need a speaker upgrade.

At what level do your factory speaker's distort ?
What did you friend from the car/stereo shop adivise ?

Wish you good luck & check back later to see what our member's post...
p.s. check the below link
Understanding why your speakers distort and a quick way to get ...<~Click

Last edited by Space; 08-04-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 AM

makes total sense to me. your speakers just cannot handle the new output. i have had this happen in almost every car i have wired up for sound with stock speakers still in it, sometimes it is only one set like the front, or just the back, sometimes all of them need replaced. and honestly if your like me and try to make a buck on everything your done using, i would stop even running the sounds right now till you get new speakers because inevitedbly your going to blow the stock's if this is indeed your problem, and im sure theres some kid out there dying for those stock speakers and dying to put a little money in your pocket towards your new ones if ya kno what im saying.

go with speakers that have an equal defecit in wattage as did your stock set up, so if your stock HU gave out 100w X 4 chan. =400 watts, and your speakers were each 80w, you want your new setup to have a similar defecit there, in order to get the same sound quality you miss now.. everyone thinks its all about aftermarket garbage and power, but it is all about setup. i can make garbage brands in car audio sound like the best by switching out head units and making tiny adjustments to what im running.

im not a car audio pro i have just wired up ALOT alot ALOT of systems, im 20 years old and since 16 making my trunk slap has been my speciality, i cant even own subs in my daily driver because it will get stolen/broken into for the sounds. its happened before. if your going for big sound get big security bro, everyone underestimates that.

another suggestion if im wrong, ask other members here about using an equalizer, there is a better fix than to use the equalizer (more expensive and time consuming but better quality in long run) i forgot the name of it but im sure when others see its a better option to an equalizer they will know what im talking about.

if you put a system in post pics! i love this stuff.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 AM

Its a 50x4! I was expecting more sound quality from a aftermarket Head unit but every disappointed with the results! Can i add aftermarket speakers to the factory amp and what kind of speakers should
I use to get the best sound?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:08 AM

and btw if replace your speakers... don't, I REPEAT do NOT let any speaker shop idiot tell you what to put in your car unless your talking to your friend because i know these people and they just try to sell the highest priced b.s. on the floor. take a look at polk audio, mid range price compared to all the other top brands and they have really superior sound quality for just 70 bucks for the front pair, you could drop down to kenwood for around 40-50 bucks, but i mean think about speakers and how complex they are, if a retailer is selling their speakers for 20 bucks a piece.what does that tell you about their long term value... and also going that cheap, you get almost half the power! kenwood - peak rms = 35 polk - peak rms = 55!!! (165 max power)

what model is your head unit?

i dont want you to go buy new speakers if you dont have to so im gonna leave out hope its the headunit since itd be cheaper to just buy a new HU then all 4 new speaks. that is if you havent caused them any damage already by force feeding them too much power

Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by sickmontesson2s
Its a 50x4! I was expecting more sound quality from a aftermarket Head unit but every disappointed with the results! Can i add aftermarket speakers to the factory amp and what kind of speakers should
I use to get the best sound?

whats the model number of your HU?

50x4, that's pretty much the standard in head units these days

i cant find online what wattage your stock speakers are, but as you saw the speaks i reccomended to you are max 55 rms, and 165 max power,

so without knowing your factory wattage i cant be sure in saying anything,
but it sounds like your factory speakers are less than 50 watts max, and the factory head unit probably was 44x4 or something even less... which would explain the strain in pushing the 4 speakers, you can hear the strain thats the noise your hearing through the speakers im guessing, which is in reality the slow distorting degradation of your speakers!

if your confident you just need new speakers, go with polk audio, they dont get enough attention for their quality in the car audio world. i suggest polk always and no one has ever been disappointed.

go to crutchfield.com, you can enter your car info and find what will work for you, if you think its overpriced, which it is by far, then go to onlinecarstereo.com

crutchfield is legit as it gets, for petes sake yu can setup instalation over the net with them i believe!!! BUT onlinecarstereo allows you to double up your money and get twice as much because they sell refurb's and returns and stuff like that, you would think its sketchy and shady but i always buy from them and NOTHING bad has ever happened. i saved money, thats the only difference besides selection.

if you have any questions about reliable brands besides polk audio or anything else, ask away man im always on here.

just a question though? why in the world did you get a JVC HU?

they aren't horrid, its just a walmart special in my eyes ****EDIT****alright i looked it up and that JVC looks good but its still a JVC LOL, pioneer all the way baby

also, before i forget, maybe go over and double check your friends work? all it takes is one lose connection to cause static.
pop off your dash and just follow the colors and make sure they match on each side of the harness connected to the rear of HU...
should look like this Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

Last edited by BakedOutCarLo420; 08-04-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 AM

Thanks alot BakedOut thats real helpful bro! I didn't know Monte Carlos could be this difficult but from what I'm hearing around stereo shops GM made it a little hard for us impala and monte riderz! If i can get my mid range and high end right i will post pics of the jl audio 500/1 and the 10w3's installed

Old 08-04-2012, 09:29 AM

Online shopping bro! I got it for 275 and it has a detachable face!

Quick Reply: 2002 SS problems with aftermark radio and factory speakers W/amp