General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: 2001 Monte Carlo decals

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:45 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 2001 Monte Carlo decals

I've pretty much decided that I want the pace car checkered design for my Monte but here's the thing: The bottom edge is dark grey (It was like that when I bought it). Which color from this product would fit best?

Here's the link

Here's a pic of my car

Last edited by ThunderSlug; 12-11-2018 at 08:06 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 12-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Well pretty much all of these were stock with the Silver decal.
If it was me I would most likely get the Silver Decal, and then I would paint the section that is Dark Grey a Silver. Then I would try to find the High Sport ground effects and put them on the Car, and paint them to match the decal. It is just a work in progress until you get the desired appearance you want.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:31 PM

Man those cars look cool.

Last edited by hboost; 12-31-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Ok I'm confused here ? Does this guy want to imitate a "Pace Car" or attempt to "clone one" for less than honest purposes?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:23 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I am merely considering the checkered design because I like it the most. I wouldn't use the "pace car" lettering because ya, that would be dishonest. Lol even if I tried to clone a pace car, people would wonder why it only had a 3.4L in it... It's just an LS

Old 01-15-2019, 08:10 PM

LOL I got ya, I dont know that there would be any pre made checkered design's other than the Pace car ones, and they would likely be very pricey, even the little Dale Earnhardt
signature for mine is $132, the pace car checkers if you can even get them gotta be brutal !

However what I would try is a sign or decal shop, if you have a design in mind, they have computers with programs where you can create your design, and machines that will cut
them out of vinyl. The vinyl comes in a variety of colors. I would not suggest using a design that they would use a printer for as, the printers are inkjet, and without coating it over
its not going to last, and prolly won't look so hot.

I would suggest, a background color, or if you are going to use checkered squares, you could use any variety of colors, I wouldn't overlap them. If you want to go a step further
and have the individual squares more than one color, I would suggest using a second layer, where you could again use multiple colors on top of the original squares to get the desired look. I have no idea how much it would cost, because it depends on the look you want to have and how labor intensive it is going to be.
My DE decals are 2 layer Red background with white on top, to look like white with red outline.

Vinyl will weather off eventually, the outer layer probably first, at least thats what mine did.

Another option would be to find a local airbrush artist, but this will actually be paint, and you cant peel it off if someday you don't like it.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:15 PM

If you wanted the actual Pace car checkers, you would probably have to go to a dealer, whether or not they are discontinued, I have no idea !

Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 PM

You can get pace car checkers from Phoenix Graphix, they are $299 for the faded set that came on the pace cars and $249 for the standard ones. I just put a set on my car about a week ago and they turned out awesome.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thank's y'all for the input. Maybe y'all didn't see the link in my original post but this checkered design looks really affordable as long as it's decent quality. Here's the link
I did check out phoenix graphics and I may just get the hood decal. I think it was around $100 which is kinda pricey.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:20 AM

I believe they're still available on ebay. I get decals from there all the time.

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: 2001 Monte Carlo decals