General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: 1st mods...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Zab
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 1st mods...

2005 Monte SS Supercharger V-6 3800 (Tony Stewart) total stock now.

About to add air intake, plugs/wires, fuel filter. Suggestions on what brands/models to buy and which one of the many dealers to buy from on-line, or should I actually get it from a store here in Columbia S.C. area?

Also, was thinking of having mechanic play with the computer. Again, suggestions on what can be done for best "off the line power"

Realistically, how much HP/Torq could she gain from these mods?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i dont know much about the supercharged version of these 3.8s but im guessing not alot from whats mentioned, the car will feel to drive smoother though, one suggestion would be to upgrade the exhaust maybe? since yo are updating the air intake it would be a good combo mod to do the exhaust, more members will chime in with more info im sure. also, welcome to the forum!

Old 03-21-2015, 02:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Plug wires OEM are just fine, same as the fuel filter AC Delco. Plugs, our cars especially our boosted Monte tend to like the Autolite 103 plugs.

If your mechanic understands the 3800 and can tweak your computer around that's great, but if he's just pushing buttons you should get a PCM tuner person who knows your engine implicitly and knows what PCM changes to make that will give you what your looking for. An admin on here "Maniac" offers such a service and there are a couple of other men out there doing similar tweaks. But Maniac would be a much faster turn around, have heard the others tend to drag their feet.

Also an exhaust cutout for perhaps $450 parts and labor will get you about 20 whp, pretty cheap hp if you ask me. We made 30whp on my turbo system with a cutout installed and open while dynoing.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 03-21-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum, here is a link for a general mod plan for the 3800 it should help guide your decision process for any mods you want to do. I second zippy's suggestion on the tuning aspect, there are people that really know what they are doing when it comes to tuning and people that just push buttons and hope for the best. Spend some time researching on who can do the best tuning for what you plan on ending up with in your car.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...n-3800s-10942/

Old 03-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Zab
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!!

Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The only thing you'll gain from plugs/wires and fuel filter is restoring power that could be lost due to older components. As zippy said, ac delco/oem parts are fine for plugs/wires and fuel filter.

For the air filter there are multiple choices out there. The best one i'd say is from Cold Air Inductions (i'll post a link below) and the next best one is called the wizaired. As far as computer tuning, again as Zippy said only have someone who is familiar with 3800 tuning work on it. You can do a mail order tune from overkill motorsports.

2005 - V-6 3.8L - Monte Carlo - Chevrolet - Cold Air Intakes - Store <-- intake

Old 03-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Zab
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

My SS has 53,700mi on her. i'm pretty sure it's original plugs/wires/gas filter. (I've owned 16mths) so that's why i'm doing those. was wondering if should / there even was some certain ones I should get, that's why I asked that part.

Thanks for the brands / types of air intakes / filters. I was going to go K&N (there's was like $270)

i'll research a good mechanic for the PCM tuning in my area. i'm interested in whatever the engine can give me off the line, only.

don't have the $$$ now, but down the road was thinking headers, as opposed to the cut-outs Zippy suggested earlier. (and my exhaust seems fine now to)

Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member

I would avoid the K&N as its not a true cold air intake, the heat shielding isn't very good. Headers really depends how much money you want to spend and how far you want to go, a cheaper alternative is a plog which is a new front manifold and a downpipe which eliminates the very restrictive u-bend in the exhaust. Plog + downpipe is a cheaper than headers, especially if you dont intend to do alot of modding in the future.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Zab
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

WOW!
interesting, indeed...
$$$ is the only reason I have/want to go slowly...
this is what came up for my SS on CAI-site***1998 - 2004 3.8L Monte Carlo Intake System (Black Powder Coated)***
is it a problem it doesn't say 2005? I guess I call to make sure...
$260 is cost, made in U.S.A. is cool to...

Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member

Thats interesting, cause i put 2005 in for the model year when i searched. I imagine it would work, i'm not aware of any major changes from 04-05 but it can't hurt to double check.

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: 1st mods...