General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

5th Gen ('95-'99): 1996 Monte Carlo will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 04:44 PM
1 Year Member
Default 1996 Monte Carlo will not start

My 1996 Monte Carlo started twice one morning, once leaving the house and then leaving a store. Drove to another store and it would not start when trying to leave.
Battery excellent voltage, power windows worked, radio worked, everything electrical powered worked.
When the key was turned to start there was no response. The car was towed home.
I thought it could be the solenoid, wrong decision. Changed it and did not change anything for starting.
I turned the key on and listened to the fuel pump relay quit and quickly connected the solenoids two terminals working under the hood to activate the starter. The Monte started and ran for a few seconds and quit running.
Turned the key off and then turned the ignition switch to run to activate the fuel pump and it did like it has always done before the start position used, the fuel pump worked for a few seconds and quit. I then quickly then connected the solenoids two terminals when I was under the hood and the Monte started again and ran great for a few seconds.
There is something wrong that will not allow the turn of the key start the Monte.
I did install a new starter solenoid and it did not change the problem because the Monte will start when I jump the terminals on the solenoid with the ignition key in run position.
Anyone experience this situation?
I wonder if the theft deterrent module or the anti-theft module have failed and will not let the starter function to start my Monte.

Last edited by 1996 Red/3.1 Monte; 05-11-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Thumbs up >Good Luck<

Sorry to read about your posted Problem I hope one of our expert member's can assist. The only thing I can suggest it to check all your connections. It could be a bad ignition switch. Also, a dirty key (from constant use and wear + build up of dirt etc) can cause it to not make a good connection) ?

Many forget to clean their keys. Does your key have a clip in it ?

To clarify > does your Monte still crank when you turn the key ? or is it dead ? I hope one of our member's can help...Good Luck!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:33 PM
1 Year Member
Default 1996 Monte Carlo

Tried two of the Monte Carlo keys that have the pellets/chip identification to verify with the cars system to start. One of the keys is not used daily and in excellent condition and has been used very little. The turning of the key to start gets no response from anything when turned to ignition switch start function position.

Last edited by 1996 Red/3.1 Monte; 05-11-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:40 PM

The process of elimination.

How many miles on your Monte ? The ignition switch itself could still be bad ? Have you checked to see if power is going to the starter when the key is in the on position ?

Keep checking back & hopefully one of our expert member's will post some help...Good Luck!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:32 AM
1 Year Member
Default 1996 no start

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
The process of elimination.

How many miles on your Monte ? The ignition switch itself could still be bad ? Have you checked to see if power is going to the starter when the key is in the on position ?

Keep checking back & hopefully one of our expert member's will post some help...Good Luck!
There is no power going to the starter terminal when the ignition key is in the "on" position. Checked for power going to the same terminal with the ignition key held in the "start" position and have no power. Have lots of power at the solenoid terminal that the positive battery cable connects to and when with a hand held tool connected to battery terminal and is connected to the other terminal the starter turns over the engine and it will start the engine if the ignition key is in the "on" position.
I believe the theft deterrent function is not allowing my Monte to start from the ignition key "start" position.
Wish there was a switch to turn off the theft deterrent system.

Last edited by 1996 Red/3.1 Monte; 05-13-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Automotive and Commercial Locksmith: G.M. Passlock 1

Your on the right track with problem being in the anti-theft system. Failure of the PCM recognizing the code exchanged compared by the chip embedded in the key and stored in the BCM and PCM will disable the fuel pump. If your sure the key chip is good the problem may be the ignition switch or the key cylinder.
Above is a link to info. on how to reset the Passkey 1 system.

Please keep us posted on how this turns out.

Last edited by plumbob; 05-13-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:08 PM
1 Year Member
Default 1996 Monte now starts and runs

The ignition key gave a reading of the resistors pellets and this information was used to use resistors wires twisted together to form a link of resistors to match the reading from the Monte's ignition key. The twisted wires of the resistors were soldered. If you do this be careful in soldering, it does not take much application from the soldering gun to heat the resistors wiring and heat can destroy the resistors. The twisted wiring was only a very short distance from the resistor wires to keep as much heat as possible from melting the solder on the twisted ends of the resistors. I then wrapped the link of resistors in electrical tape.

I then found the two white wires enclosed in protective covering coming from the ignition switch that were connected to plastic connector which is located above your leg if your foot was on the gas pedal. On my Monte I could plainly see the two white wires together in the protective covering going to the plastic end that plugs into the plastic connector.
I unplugged the two white wires from the connector and then cut them giving me 6-8 inches of wire coming from the wires plug end.
Took it in the house and stripped the protective covering to expose the two white wires and stripped them of their white covering and soldered both wires to ends of my two resister link wires. Note the resistor wires are solid and the white wires are copper multi wiring stands wound together.
Took the soldered assembly to my Monte and plugged it into the plastic connector it was removed from and the Monte started right up and has been driven with no start problems since Saturday. Yea!
This was a relative easy fix to get my Monte on the road again.
It took eight small resistors wired/soldered together to match/compare to what my ignition key registered.
Hope someone else can use the method I experienced to start their car. This method can be used on other cars that have the pellets on the ignition key.

Last edited by 1996 Red/3.1 Monte; 05-16-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the follow up and congratulations on your fix.
I've heard of that technique being used before.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The old resistor trick. Glad you got it up and running.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:01 PM

I also have considered hiring closest locksmith near me during this problem but they won't be able to help me in this matter.,