General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

1987 SS cat converter delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Default 1987 SS cat converter delete

I was thinking about doing a fat converter delete on my 87 SS. I live in mass and vehicles prior to 1992 do not have to pass emissions. I know there are plenty of pros for removing it such as more hp, better exhaust sound, better low end torque, but are there any cons to removing it? Right now the exhaust is basically brand new from when I bought it, stickers still on it. It's a stock exhaust replacement. Not true dual. I don't know whether to keep the cat and get 2.75" pipes from the cat back to flowmasters or to just remove the cat and keep the "stock" exhaust. What do you guys recommend for an exhaust set up? My plan ideally is to delete the cat for now, and then plan a full exhaust but don't know which one to do. I don't want the rediculously loud Rappy exhaust that sounds like a lawn mower at high rpms, I want a deep loud rumble. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you don't need the cat for emissions I would get it out of there in a heart beat!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Do you think there are any cons to it? Also like I said, the delete is temporay until you guys can fill me In on a good exhaust with a High flow or no cat at all. I don't plan on headers just yet. Also I need to get an aftermarket air filter. I hate the look of that black pan on top of my motor. I noticed a hose comin out of the pan that holds the air filter but no clue where it goes. If I get an after market intake, where does this hose go? Thanks. I'll upload a picture tonight.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 PM

I just realized my original post said "I was thinking about doing a FAT converter delete" haha. It's supposed to say CAT converter delete. Sorry about the typo guys!

Old 07-03-2011, 01:48 AM

bump??

Old 07-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

pull it out and bring it in for the scrap metal it's worth!

i pull it out of mine stuffed a cherry bomb at the y pip and then hacked the origional exhaust and stuck in after the bomb to exit the pass side(again there is a pic in my garage but i can't get the IMG code...)

i think i have a vid of how it sounded in my frame off thread, if this doesn't work
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...h_9924a9d1.jpg (Monte :: Sprint PictureMail video by budsmadison - Photobucket)

Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 AM

This might be a dumb question, but are there o2 sensors in the 87 cats? I wasn't really sure because when I searched around the forum I read it was setting off codes but I only saw posts for 5th gen and newer montes. Besides the noise and some hp gain, what other effects are there? I don't think removing it will cause any harm. I am keeping the mufflers on. What I plan to do is disconnect the cat and bolt the two pipes together if they are willing to just slide up a little bit and I'll get 8" tips to exit the exhaust the rear wince login the pipes up will let the exhaust come out right under my trunk but this is so only until I get the full exhaust done. will removing it trip codes on this car? Thanks

Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 PM

That sounds GOOD. So basically out of the downpipe you just have a cherrybomb? No cat or anything? Just manifold to pipe to cherry? Also would it be better if I were to just hollow it out rather than remove it? I'm looking for the deepest exhaust possible. I don't want a real choppy Rappy exhaust.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

i had y pipe bomb and then some tubing that ran it our right befor the pass side rear wheel, if you want a little less rasp the further you put the bomb back it won't be as loud and less rasp, in the long run i say do full length header and real exhaust, my plan is to do full length headers, run exhaust pipe back 3/4 the length of the pass comp some long cherry bombs and dumps right befor the axle o and some cutouts right after the header for when i want ti get stupid loud

My budy hae this exact set up except the no cutouts, on his buick lesaber with a 350 in it and it sounded awsome nice little grumble at idle nothing to loud and roared when you steped on it!

The o2 will not be affected by the cat beign tore out it is right at the pass side manifold but if/when you do header you will need to extend the o2 wire and put an o2 bung in it

i say scrap the cat, would probably pay for a chunk of your exhaust!

Last edited by Budsjlm; 07-03-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Thanks buds. What I'm trying to figure out is for temporary use. Should I just remove the cat for now? Or hollow it out? Because after summer is when I plan to do maybe a full exhaust. Reason asking is if I buy a flow master exhaust, I wonder if I'll have to buy a cat or not. If I just remove the cat now and keep the stock mufflers on, how will it sound? Would I be better off to completely bolt it off or hollow it?

Quick Reply: 1987 SS cat converter delete