General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

1983 Chevy Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 AM
Default 1983 Chevy Monte Carlo

I recently decided to clean out the house and am thinking about moving. I knew there was a car in the outside garage, but never really paid much attention to it. It's been parked out there and covered up for the last 12-15 years. All I knew was that it was a Monte Carlo and one of my late husband's prized possessions, as he had it since he was a kid. Anyway, you guys are the experts. Do you think it's worth anything? I've included a few pics I took, but they aren't the best since I didn't want to take it outside just yet. From what I've gathered so far, it's an 83 with 85574 miles. It will start (surprising considering how long it's been stored) and it does go into gear. Beyond that, I'm not sure of the running condition. It seems to be in very good shape and someone looked at it and said there's no rust and doesn't appear to be all filled in with bondo. I guess that's good. It also has a brand new transmission in the trunk. I don't know if it needs one, or if he bought it just to have it. Anyway, any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Considering the condition of the vehicle and the low mileage you should have no problem selling it. Value varies depending on locale so maybe check the paper and car lots in your area and use those prices as a guideline for pricing yours. Since it has been sitting for so long I would drain the old fuel from the tank and replace all the rubber fuel lines and filter. It would be a shame to see such a clean Monte go up in flames because an old, cracked fuel line burst.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:22 AM

Click above to check what some 4th generation Monte Carlo's are selling for. Good Luck.
Below are some other links to explore...

Old 05-04-2013, 07:34 AM

It looks gorgous, yea as 03SSLE said, make sure you change all the rubbers and drain the fuel and put some new stuff in it. When I had my old 96' thunderbird the owner said the car had set for about 4 years, and all the rubbers wore horrible, from the hoses, to the rubber bushings, I even had a bad tranny (not sure if it was due to someone being rough on the car or if it was because it sat for a while. So hopefully the tranny in that Monte is still good, and if not at least you have an extra one which is a plus. Also no bondo means that the car has never been crashed which is always a plus. Once you do some research on the car and what you should be selling it for, I would post it in the for sale section towards the bottom of the forums, a lot of people on here love the older Monte Carlo's and would probably love purchase it from you. I know I would if I had the money and was not already making payments on my new 06' Monte haha.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im curious...

with it in such fine condition....What state are you from?
With the sun in the back ground... Id say somewhere down south?

You might want to look into SouthernMotors.com... for priceing

Old 05-04-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Im curious...

with it in such fine condition....What state are you from?
With the sun in the back ground... Id say somewhere down south?

You might want to look into SouthernMotors.com... for priceing

I'm located in Topsham, Maine.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 AM

Someone said I should try to sell it for about 5000.00. Does that seem right? Since I have no clue, part of me thinks its too low but the other part thinks its too high. Thoughts?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 AM

5 Year Member

Seeing how its a classic (20+ yrs old)

Id say with the condition the body/paint is in... Thats way low in my opinion.
Im guessing the interior is in just as nice condition as the body?
Is it an Automatic? or Stick shift... (Since you said theres a trans in the trunk) But you didnt say what kind it is.

It looks to me like its also an SS?(Since it has a Spoiler built on the Trunk Lid) it looks factory!
Is there anyway you can find out what motors in it?

With the Cragar wheels(That still look imaculate) and BF goodrich TA tires...
the painted drums and calipers...It looks like it was really well taken care of.

Im no expert, But I'd have to say its easily worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $8,000.00 to $10,000.00 to the right person!

Also in 1983 was the year ... Chevrolet re-introduced the Monte Carlo SS to keep up with the Mid size Sport car Market!...
So you definately have something special!!!!

Id definately do your homework on this one...
Im gonna guess its fully loaded?
Tilt wheel,cruise control,air conditioning, power windows, AM/FM Cassette, power locks? power seat.
These are all important options to mention when you go to sell it.
I would suggest looking into it to see what options it actually has..

Im also curious.... Did your husband buy it brand new? If so, Maybe he kept the original window sticker for it? (From the dealer)
This also adds value to the car.../ Is the original wheels still in the garage?(That came with the car originally)... before he put on the Cragars?
This is another + in the overall value..

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-04-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added info...
Old 05-04-2013, 09:05 AM

You guys are awesome with all your information and I appreciate it!
Here's what I DO know:
The car has a gorgeous paint job. Nearly mint condition.
The interior is also in excellent condition, the fabric is maroon in color.
There is what appears to be a brand new transmission in the trunk.
They are amazing and all 4 are in excellent condition.
It says cowl induction on the hood.
It has a spoiler on the back.
It has dual exhaust.
It's A V8 original 305 engine automatic transmission
The Odometer Says 85564.

Here's what I DON'T know:
Mechanical Condition: I put a battery and some gas in it and it started. I was surprised by this to say the least because it's sat for so long. I did not let it run. I just wanted to see what would happen. I put it in gear and it did move forward and back a few feet. The engine is clean, no oil and junk all over it.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 AM

5 Year Member

That Looks like an after market hood...
Do you still have the original hood there?

I added some other things to look for in my previous post to look for that the car has.(options)

I have already seen a few on line with less mileage.. but in the 12K to 15K range! That are 1983's Since this was the Model year that Chevrolet re introduced the SS Model!

Since it has a 305 (Not the most popular motor) That came original with the car...Im guessing possibly the trans in the trunk might also be the original trans that came with the car.... (Numbers matching counts)...
If you possibly know someone that knows about cars...
Have him write down the VIN (vehicle identification number) its on the driver side dash. and call General Motors give them the numbers and they can tell you what options it came with, along with the matching motor and transmission numbers!...
Then have that person check the motor and trans for those matching numbers...
If they all match up....
Thats another thing that adds value to your Monte Carlo SS!
I know this probably sounds a bit over whelming... But its worth it in the long run... As far as getting the most out of it !!!
Good Luck Sherry I hope this helps!
Welcome to the MCF!
(Maybe you should keep it?)
Its certainly something special!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-04-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 1983 Chevy Monte Carlo