General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

06 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Default 06 SS

What's up everyone, I test drove a 06 Monte SS the other day and liked it alot. I have a few questions. What does everyone think of the 5.3 and being a fwd? Also, does anyone know the 0-60 and 1/4 times? I can't seem to find it any where. And there doesnt seem to be any reviews on the car. So, for the ones that know more about the 06 SS, what do you think? The one i drove had all power, leather heated seats, sunroof. I think it was pretty much fully loaded. Just a little over $30,000.

I have been test driving everything that i think i might like. And the Monte SS was on my list. Im in no hurry to buy so i will be looking around for another month or so, to make sure i buy what i want. I am driving a 02 Jetta 2.0 Auto and let me tell you. It has been one problem after another. I have only had it a year and 2 months. Can't wait untill i can trade this thing. Had 40k miles when i bought it, now has 56k. I would say it has had about $6,000 or more parts replaced under warranty.

Never owned a Chevy before, and really, i have never liked them. But, the 06 SS really gets me. And i have never owned a V8 either lol... My first car was a 95 Taurus [:'(]. Next was a 99 Dakota V6 which my dad is driving now. His car blew up so he got the truck and i got a 98 Civic 5spd. Had to trade the Civic because i have left knee problems and couldnt drive it anymore. That is when i got the Jetta. Which i wish i wouldnt have bought now. I think that about covers it.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Joah

Old 03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Default RE: 06 SS

I think the 5.3L and being FWD rocks! tons of power, and good in the snow too - can't beat it. There IS some torque steer when you really get on it - but that's to be expected with all that power going to the front wheels. But you know when you're gonna do it, so you plan for it and hang on to the wheel more - no biggie.

don't know 1/4 mile times, haven't raced it/timed it. GM's site claims 0-60 in about 5.6 seconds, but I do know I've done it in about 5.2 seconds (timed)... and up to 90+ is only a few more seconds away from there. ;-) The torque/power this car has is awesome... even with traction control on, it will still break the tires loose. Launch is excellent - but again, launching it real good will bring in the torque steer, so hang on!

I haven't experienced much body roll when taking corners, the car seems to handle very well. the 4-wheel disc brakes stop it on a dime. The side mirrors are kind of small, giving you a good blind spot - they could be bigger, and the front end of the car takes a beating on the road... I got mine back in November, and I've already got all kinds of chips/marks on the front of the hood and the front cowl/air dam. I may have to invest in a bra, or one of those ClearShields so you can still see the color.

Mine is power everything, leather heated seats, power mirrors, auto-dimming rear view mirror, sunroof, etc etc. The only things I DON'T have are the XM radio and the Bose stereo system - neither of which I wanted. I ordered mine, so I got exactly what I wanted in it - and sticker was about $30,020. With discounts, incentives, PLUS with a 5yr/75k mi. GM extended warranty, I got it out the door for around $26,500.

The inside is nicely laid out, seats are comfortable - well, the drivers seat is anyway - I never sit in any of the others LOL -- but my 7 and 9 year olds have never complained about the back seats. The one thing I noticed about the back seat area is - it's not as "luxurious" as say the impala or any other car - the side panels/arm rest areas are all plastic - no padding, covering, etc... just molded plastic. But again, I never sit back there anyway, so it doesn't bother me. the inside of the car I think is styled more as a "racing" cockpit, not a luxury car. Again, it's what I like anyway.

The driver info center in the dash tells you EVERYTHING! temp, compass, trip, oil life monitor, tire pressures, avg. fuel economy, instant fuel economy, if your in 4cyl or 8cyl mode, etc etc etc.

So, for an overall review, I'd have to say I LOVE my car - the power, performance and styling are great for me!

Old 03-14-2006, 01:45 AM

Thanks man, that helps alot! I just have a problem making my mind up. But, i did like the Monte SS better then the 2006 Vw GTi. The GTi would be a fun car to drive. I have just heard to many bad things about it, and its only been out since Feb 1st. So i have decided to keep looking. And since its not the first year the Monte is out, it should be good. What did the 5/75k mile warranty cost? I have some pretty crappy Chevy dealers around here. I can't ever get my dad out to go with me. One dealer told me no for a drive. So i lied to the other one to get a test drive. Now thats pretty bad that they look at you that way. I am 21 not some idiot out for the fun of it. So Hubler Chevy in Indianapolis lost a sale. And thats what im going to tell him when he calls me lol... I will more then likley drive a few more miles to get a good dealer if i do decide to buy a Chevy. So, thanks again for your review on your monte!
Joah

Old 03-14-2006, 09:54 AM

no problem, you're welcome for the review!

it's not the first year out for the Monte SS, but it IS the first year with the new 5.3L V8. However, the 5.3L V8 engine is a good, reliable, proven engine that's been used in their trucks for years.

It's also a first with the DOD (Displacement on Demand), but I have about 7K miles on at this point and there's been no issues at all. You can't even tell when it switches between 4cyl and 8cyl - it's awesome... and I'm currently getting 21.8 mpg - gotta love it - all that power and good gas mileage too!

The 5yr/75K mi. GM Extended Warranty - Major Guard (the best one, most coverage) - cost me about $1,100 - and that's with a $0 deductible.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:35 PM

I just picked up mine on Sat and god is it powerful. I actually did 0-60 in 5.4 so yeh it's in the mid to lower 5's. I will be doing the quarter mile in 2 weeks so should have some times. Could you imagine if they come out with a turbo or Nos kit for this baby. Yikes. Coming from an eclipse GT to this man it has some *****. Now as for the stangs and the Chargers please pull over before you get smoked. oh by the way

Recent kill
06 Dodge Charger RT red 5.7hemi driven by Jimmy.
"Dude I did not know chevy made a car like that"
He knows now!!

Old 03-14-2006, 04:53 PM

LOL - NICE!!!

yeah, these things are beasts man!

on the way to work this morning I took out a Mustang GT... felt pretty good

Old 03-14-2006, 04:59 PM

Ok.... Nuff of this kill talk....

If I come home with one more new car without consulting with my wife again I am in BIGGGGGGG trouble....

Old 03-15-2006, 01:31 AM

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Actually I know what you mean. The dog house is very cold right now

Old 03-15-2006, 07:04 AM

Very nice. Atleast i will know i can beat some good cars out there if i do buy one. And the way im thinking, its looking pretty good for the Monte SS. I had a cop ask me tonight while at bp (my neice works there) ask me if he brought their new Charger Hemi by if i would race him, i looked at him and said my Jetta is sloooow. He said, its slow? I was like, its a 2.0 auto i cant beat anything lol.. I will make sure i let him know he wont have much of a chance if i buy the Monte LOL. Might have to go take another look in a few weeks. Joah

Old 03-15-2006, 11:29 AM

[sm=smiley20.gif]