General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

'06 Monte Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default '06 Monte Exhaust

I thought I'd read the '06 Montes with the 3.9 engines were suppose to have stainless exhaust on them?

If it's true then I got taken.

I got my accessory exhaust tips yesterday and was installing them a little while ago. I happen to look and in no way is the exhaust on my car stainless.

How can I tellyou ask? RUST!
The pipes have rust on them and stainless does NOT RUST!

Does any know if their car with 3.9 V6 in it is like this?

Old 03-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: '06 Monte Exhaust

I also read in an article that the exhaust, not the tips, were stainless. Mine is showing definite oxidation.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:59 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's very obvious the mufflers and tail pipes on my car are aluminized (coated).

The pipes ahead from the catalytic converter to the mufflers are nothing more then standard exhaust pipe.

Rusty exhaust pipes. [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 PM

hmmm I was also under the impression it was all stainless...I'll have to take a peek under mine tomorrow.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:49 PM

Looking at the chevy website, all 2007's come standard with a stainless steel exhaust system with aluminized mufflers and tailpipes. I would assume the 2006's are the same.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 PM

shmedley is correct...and that's the way it was for 06 as well. Although mine is not showing any rust just some road dirt that washes off.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 PM

Depending on the type of stainless they use (there are different alloy grades) some light surface rust may develop in certain areas on stainless steel, but for the most part it will be minor, not affecting the whole structure. (aka rusting through)

From Wikipedia: "In metallurgy, stainless steel is defined as a ferrous alloy with a minimum of 10.5% chromium content.[1] The name originates from the fact that stainless steel does not stain, corrode or rust as easily as ordinary steel. This material is also called corrosion resistant steel when it is not detailed exactly to its alloy type and grade, particularly in the aviation industry."

Also, rust from non-stainless components (hangers,clamps, bolts, etc) can form on a stainless part that it contacts, making it appear that the stainless is rusting.

Mine have some light surface rust that I'm looking forward to removing by either polishing the tips on the car right now, or getting replacement exhaust tips to cover it up. Speaking of tips, anyone have pictures of exhaust tips on their Monte? I was hoping to research some different styles, rolled edge straight cut vs straigh edge slash cut vs etc etc.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: FlynhghR

Depending on the type of stainless they use (there are different alloy grades) some light surface rust may develop in certain areas on stainless steel, but for the most part it will be minor, not affecting the whole structure. (aka rusting through)

From Wikipedia: "In metallurgy, stainless steel is defined as a ferrous alloy with a minimum of 10.5% chromium content.[1] The name originates from the fact that stainless steel does not stain, corrode or rust as easily as ordinary steel. This material is also called corrosion resistant steel when it is not detailed exactly to its alloy type and grade, particularly in the aviation industry."

Also, rust from non-stainless components (hangers,clamps, bolts, etc) can form on a stainless part that it contacts, making it appear that the stainless is rusting.

Mine have some light surface rust that I'm looking forward to removing by either polishing the tips on the car right now, or getting replacement exhaust tips to cover it up. Speaking of tips, anyone have pictures of exhaust tips on their Monte? I was hoping to research some different styles, rolled edge straight cut vs straigh edge slash cut vs etc etc.
I just put some rolled edge angle cut tips on mine, 3" diameter. I think they look pretty good, I will try to get a pic tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:34 AM

titanium is the only metal that will not rust/tarnish/stain. It is nearly indestructible and easily the coolest word/thing on earth. Titanium. Thats right I said it.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:24 PM

your stock tips have rust on them?? Hmmm.... I've had my car since 11/23/2005, this is the second winter I've been through with the car, and mine don't have any on them.... of course when I wash the car, I always make sure to wash the inside/outside of the tips and put a coat of wax on them... is that obsessive??

Quick Reply: '06 Monte Exhaust