General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

06 3.9L VS SC3800

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Default RE: 06 3.9L VS SC3800

i really dont know cain, i went to the dealer and said i wanted the chrome tips like the ones on the ss. i didnt know there was a difference. any way space my friend has a malibu with a 3.5 and that thing is quite impressive, i would say the 3.5 has alot for mid range and top end.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:53 PM

how do the ltz tips look? my tips are solid chrome inside and out and have a slight angle from top to bottom

Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM

If you check out chevy.com they have a pic of them on there under accessories along with the wheels I want.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 PM

well i checked those tips on chevy.com its still hard to tell. those on the ss are a little bit shorter in the depth of the entire tip but it could just be the angle of the picture, the opening of the ss tip in that pic looks just like mine, so i dont know i could have either one, i might swing by a dealer ship and take a close look my pics i posted make my tips look flat but they look just like the tips on the ss pic

Old 10-04-2006, 11:24 PM

ORIGINAL: cain45

Well first off your paying for GM accessories, 2nd they are guaranteed by GM to never rust, tarnish, or loose their luster, and 3rd there's something to be said about keeping a car all OEM in my humble opinion. I just ordered my tips today thanks to "2006" pics.
Ah...touche`!!

Yes, Space...I have a little report to make.

During my trip to Colorado to see friends the other week, we got a free upgrade to full size because all the intermediate rentals were taken. So, naturally, I grabbed me an '06 Monte Carlo LT. I was very excited to have a test of a new Monte. Well, it wasn't the love affair I expected. First of all, the 3.5 is WEAK in comparison to my 3.8. So I would have to say that the 3.5 would lose miserably to the 3.8...I was very unimpressed.

The gas pedal felt funny too, like it took too much effort to push it. The rear-view mirror is too low on the windshield, it got in my way and obstructed my view of the road. I thought the seat was too high at first, but then I figured out how to lower it (power seat). I also think the center console is too high. I had difficulty getting my big bear mits down there to buckle my seatbelt. Something was screwy with the power steering too. It was almost non-existent when sitting still...made parellel parking very labourious. I chalk that up, though, to it being a mistreated rental.

On the positive side, however, MAN...can that thing handle!!!!! I took it up into a windy mountain road doing 15 over the limit and barely even heard any tire squeel. The seats are pretty comfy too.

Not knocking you 06+ guys, but given the choice, I would stick with my '05 LT. (maybe a run in a new SS would change my mind!![:-])

Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 AM

Well there's the problem, you drove a 3.5 and not the 3.9. I know you wouldn't feel that way after driving the 3.9...it's way more powerful.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:18 PM

Bigg J,

I think the SS would more than change your mind! I have had very minor issues with the vehicle as far as comfort or performance. First off, the gas pedal is soft if anything, I get a twitch in my ankle and I'm pushed back into my seat by the thrust. I had some concerns at first with the whole Displacement on Demand: when it drops to 4 cylinders, what is the reaction time if I get on it? well, that question was quickly answered, and I mean quickly! When I push on the gas, it GOES, whether I'm still in 8 mode or even from 4 mode making a quick shift back to 8. I agree, the rear view is quite large and oddly placed for the vehicle, it did get in my way for a while, but I got used to it. The cab is VERY comfortable as far as the seats and console, I am 6'5" 350 lbs. and have no problem climbing in and out or manuevering once I'm in there, including buckling the seat belt. And handling, wow, I've driven some small import cars, I've driven some sedans, NOTHING compares to the ability of this suspension! I've taken a corner at 50 mph without even hesitating.

All in all, the new SS, its got comfort, definately got the styling, and good lord does it have the *****!!

*pics to come shortly*

Old 10-05-2006, 05:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Bigg J

On the positive side, however, MAN...can that thing handle!!!!! I took it up into a windy mountain road doing 15 over the limit and barely even heard any tire squeel. The seats are pretty comfy too.

Ahhhhheeemmm!!! I knew I wasn't the only one fantasizing about the great handling of the 06.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:11 PM

i've drove many 3.8l and they are doggy to me, the 3.5 has more topend and the 3.9 would wax it. any way the reason for the gas pedal being so easy to push and very responisve is that in 2006 the went to "drive by wire" so there are no cables running from the gas pedal to the thorttle body, the cables had to pull the spring action lever to open the thorttle plate making it harder , the "drive by wire" is all electronic. so it is more responsive,

i would say the mirror is big, but i havent notice the power steering to be very hard u drove a rental and you know what that means. but i have had trans am's and the steering to turn those is way stiffer, the handing is good, the ride is good, and in my opinion the 06's look better inside and out plus have better rims.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: 2006MonteCarlo

i've drove many 3.8l and they are doggy to me, the 3.5 has more topend and the 3.9 would wax it. any way the reason for the gas pedal being so easy to push and very responisve is that in 2006 the went to "drive by wire" so there are no cables running from the gas pedal to the thorttle body, the cables had to pull the spring action lever to open the thorttle plate making it harder , the "drive by wire" is all electronic. so it is more responsive,

i would say the mirror is big, but i havent notice the power steering to be very hard u drove a rental and you know what that means. but i have had trans am's and the steering to turn those is way stiffer, the handing is good, the ride is good, and in my opinion the 06's look better inside and out plus have better rims.
Actually I don't find the mirror to be too large, as it is the same size as my own, the problem is where it is placed. the '06+ models have the mirror too low on the windshield almost in the centre of the windshield.

Yes, yes, yes...Dave. You were right about the suspension, but stand by my opinion that it will not out-maneuver a Porsche!! In and out of those mountain curves, the little "06 LT that could" was putting my wife to sleep with the smooth rocking motions.

I forgot to mention that I saw my life flash before my eyes: I was following my friends back from their son's football game, and I had to gun it to get across the oncoming traffic. I slammed the pedal to the floor, and NOTHING happened. I'd had difficulty with the accelerator before, but this was scary!! As far as drive-by-wire, my 3.8 is MUCH more responsive than that thing, and I drove the hell out of it as well. I believe my '05 LT would smoke it...even my wife thought it was lacking in power and she was shocked when I told her that it actually had more hp than mine. The LTZ, yeah I believe it would pull pretty hard on mine, but not the LT...sorry.

Then again, it WAS a rental...so who knows what may have been done to it. This was an '06 and as many miles on it as my '05 (around 23K).