General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

05 monte carlo SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Default 05 monte carlo SS

HelloI Have not purchased a monte carlo Yet. My 01 Alero has been writtin off and Ive been looking at some monte carlo's and I belive you guys would know all about them.

I Have found a 2005 SS. Low kms fully loaded leather sunroof.
I'm Just curious on the 3.8 and the supercharger. Ive heard 3.8 is reliable. As for the supercharger Ive know nothing about them. heard their pritty good just check the oil and change Pully once once and awile.

I would like to know the overall on this car. Gm always has its little things here and thier. but Im just wondering if thiers anything major on these cars that i should be aware of.

Thanks you
steven

Old 01-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Default RE: 05 monte carlo SS

the engine is basically bullitproof as many will tell you. but iknow were u can get an 06 ss for a good price

Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 PM

How much I like the 06's will not be able to aford one.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have an 04 Supercharged Monte. I can`t think of any major issues with the supercharged 3.8 engine and tranny combo (also known as the L67).

One issue with all Monte Carlos from 2000 and up is the Intermediate Steering Shaft. Occasionally, the Intermediate Steering Shaft needs to be lubricated. It develops a clunking sound when you turn the wheels. That`s when it needs to be lubed or serviced.

Which engine did you have in your Alero? I had a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT (the Alero`s Pontiac cousin) that I bought brand new andtraded it in August of 2007.Even though I never did anyengine mods, and never raced it, I had so many engine problemswith my Grand Am.Plusall the other known issues with the Grand Ams and Aleros.Mine was a money pit, and was so glad to get rid of it.

I just remembered another issue that has come up with the 2000 and up Monte Carlos. On rare occasions, some people have had one of the guages go bad. When that happens, the guage cluster needs to be replaced.I had the temp guage go bad on mine last year. It was covered bywarranty. Not everyone gets that problem though. Luck of the draw I guess. LOL.

Basically, if you can get used to driving a larger (and wider) car, you should really enjoy the 05 Supercharged SS Monte.

Oh yeah... I almost forgot.The supercharged 3.8 calls for premium gas. A piece of info I didn't know until after I bought it, and went to fill it up for the first time.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 PM

yea i have 2.4 alero 01. No major problems. owned it for 2 years only had to do wheel bearring and strut mounds. the alero is a Bigger car compared to most vehicals too.

The steering shaft Clunching. Is thier a Greese nipple that you have to greese? How hard and where is that located?

Premium Fuel? Ok Well Ive heard alot of things with premium fuel in my alero i gained extra 60-70kmson a tank. But the the 3.8 s/c is what do you mean SHOULD MUST USE?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 PM

you have to use premium to keep kr down right? and yea my steering is clunking how do i lube it up. Insanity ur selling ur car? how much?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have broken 2 flex plates, one before engine mods, and the 2nd after engine mods. They broke differently. The ISS is a problem EVERY w-body car has, the Montes, Impalas, GPs, and probably others. Gauge clusters are a problem, and sunroof switches and motors.
Engine is bullet proof, and the trannys are WAY better on the S/C cars, because they use the 4T65E-HD instead of the 4T60E. The police Impalas use the 4T65E-HDs, also. Brakes are great, suspension great, and other that the few issues listed, the only problem you WILL have is the ISS, and if you keep it greased, it can last forever, like anything else that needs grease, you must grease it.
And if you want a few extra HP, it's SO easy to do with the L67. I'm at about 315 BHP, with nothing done internally. I'm also at just under 100,000 miles, with only the few problems listed, the flex plate being the big one for me. I'm running a 2500 stall convertor now, 8 lbs lighter than stock. We'll see if that helps any. Next step will be the Mezier billet flex plate, but I couldn't get my hands on one when I needed it. But again, this is not a NORMAL problem, but then again, I've never been called "normal"! "Abi" is my nickname!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

like what he said^^^ that the L67 is a good strong motor, plus there's alot of after markets mods for it. hopefully the previous owner of the 05 you looking at took good care of it. i like the 05 model trunk lid cause there's no key hole in it.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 PM

my gas gauge went bad

Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM

Ok thanks alot guys. Well im Really looking forward to owning a monte. Going to take a look at the 05 tommorrow. Hope its all good.

Quick Reply: 05 monte carlo SS