General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

04 SS to S/C Performance Machine, what shoud I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Default 04 SS to S/C Performance Machine, what shoud I do?

Ok don't mind my Newb-ness to the forums here. I have a question about turning my ye ol' standard 04 SS Monte into a performance machine. I'm not to automobile savy, but you can name it, and I've modded it(For Performance, not lame crap). Tivo, PC's, Game systems, and many more. It's in my nature to make things better then stock.

So what I want to know is what should I do and in what order. I want to put a beefy Super charger on my monte, but do I need to rebuild my Trans first? Also, could I benifit from doing my Exhaust system ahead of time? Should I work from end to beginning(Exhaust, Trans, then Super Charger).

My 04 SS is completely stock at this moment with 17,000 miles. I read alot about people saying it's cheaper/easier to just go get a junk yard SC 3800 instead of upgrading the one you have. Is this true and why? I guess what I'm saying is if you had a 04 SS with $6000(just an estimate, don't knock me because it actually costs $6500 or something) to throw at it. What would you do? Also, If I'm leaving something obvious out such as a chip or anything else please mention it. Like I said, I'm a newb, but I want to learn and get my hands dirty.

Thanks
-Will

Old 01-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Default RE: 04 SS to S/C Performance Machine, what shoud I do?

Welcome to the forum....

If you have the non-SC 3.8L I would start with the trans if your going for all out power, if your looking to add power slowly over time a trans upgrade my not be required up front.

Supercharger is ok, and will generate quite a bit of power, as long as it's not a stocker. Remember, the SC 3.8L monty only generates 240HP of the lot. I like your process of starting from the rear to the front my self!!!!

If you have 6K to throw at it I would go the cantuning turbo route ~ H E R E ~ and check out RSM or ZZP for a trans up grade.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:20 PM

I know the differences mechanically between turbo and super charging, but what is the pros and cons to doing this. Which one has a better price to performance ratio. It seems that most are going the super route and less for turbo. I'm checking out two possible systems. Whats your take on these. Also, keep in mind that if one system will save me a few bucks then that could go towards taco bell.

Cartuning Performance 3.8L Turbo Kit - $3,099.00
http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...y_Code=MCUNDER

or

Centrifugal Supercharger kit for Grand Prix GT & Monte Carlo - $3,049.99
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...ts1.php?id=244

Old 01-27-2006, 07:49 PM

I would roll with the Cantuning turbo kit, your looking at close to 100 hp for $3,099.00, you'll get 60 for the stage one SC kit you posted. Another $750 will get you there if you get the stage three. But then again, you'll still need a intercooler for the turbo, so it may very well be a wash.

A supercharger will be much quicker off the line due to the turbo spool time.

I think I posted this link before but I found it to be informative.

~ L I N K ~

Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 PM

Which kit is going to give me more scalability to increase horse power and torque later. Which one is easier to maintain and install. What is a total stage 4 super charger going to run me?

Thanks for all your help

Old 01-28-2006, 11:57 AM

Also, what is the deal with doing an engine swap. Is there too many internal things that I have to change out on this engine if I went with a turbo? What do I need to switch out besides the transmission.

Thanks
-Will

Old 01-30-2006, 11:04 PM

personally if i were you i would go with the turbo. the only things similar between the L67(s/c) and L36(non-s/c) blocks are the block and the crank. everything else would have to be changed if you wanted to do it correctly. An exhaust and an intake would def. start things off though.