Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   04 Monte Crazy speedo when cold... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/04-monte-crazy-speedo-when-cold-6800/)

Cori04Monte 12-05-2007 07:47 PM

04 Monte Crazy speedo when cold...

Hello guys I have a 2004 monte that starts acting up when its cold. It did this last winter then as we went into spring, it went away for the rest of the summer. Now that its getting cold again, the speedo is acting up again, plus now the tachometer is too. The speedo will go all the way to 140 mph when i'm doing 50. At rest, the speedo sits at about 80mph then goes up from there. It doesn't always start at 80, its all over the place. Anyone have this problem? Is the whole gauge cluster bad? Why only when its cold? Thanks.

Cowboy6622 12-05-2007 08:30 PM

RE: 04 Monte Crazy speedo when cold...

the cold part is what throws me.... maybe just a strange coincidence? i think somebody had a similar problem a few weeks ago but i don't remember the name of hte thread or anything... so anyways, welcome to the forum [sm=welcomesign.gif]

2000LS 12-05-2007 11:08 PM

i cant recall the specifics, but i think i put a cluster ina 05 a couple months ago for the speedo sticking

Chucks88SS 12-06-2007 08:21 PM

IM having the EXACT same problem. it only came about when the cold weather started. its a real pisser, and there are no aftermarket clusters to go with. were boned......

kweef 12-06-2007 10:15 PM

lol interstin word choice

Chucks88SS 12-07-2007 10:18 PM

not sure what tv show i heard it on but ive been saying "boned" all damm week!! it just comes up! In all seriousness though, i cant understand how so many people can have this problem and GM just sits there and does nothing about it.

BillFromTR 12-07-2007 10:37 PM

Warrantee? Maybe you were really doing 140? lol

Chucks88SS 12-07-2007 11:40 PM

Ive got pics of the needle buried at the edge of the speedo, but i was driving down a one way street at maybe 30 mph. I was reading an TSB about the gauges making noise and something about the stepper motors inside the cluster getting stuck. which i think is happening. i might open my spare cluster just to take a look. if there is something i can lube with grease or a light oil. I'm gonna try and see what it does. i just hate having to leave my baby in the hands of some idiot that really doesn't care but wants to push it through so he can get his hours. it just really PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!

OK i can return to normal breathing now, lol!!

blazerman3 12-16-2007 09:54 AM

The daughter`s 04 Impala does this too when it`s cold. Intermittant at best.....

HyperFox 12-16-2007 02:24 PM

I wonder if there is cracks in the speedo's saudering that contract when it gets cold out causing it to go nuts..