Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   04 Monte Crazy speedo when cold... (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/04-monte-crazy-speedo-when-cold-6800/)

Cori04Monte 12-05-2007 07:47 PM

04 Monte Crazy speedo when cold...

Hello guys I have a 2004 monte that starts acting up when its cold. It did this last winter then as we went into spring, it went away for the rest of the summer. Now that its getting cold again, the speedo is acting up again, plus now the tachometer is too. The speedo will go all the way to 140 mph when i'm doing 50. At rest, the speedo sits at about 80mph then goes up from there. It doesn't always start at 80, its all over the place. Anyone have this problem? Is the whole gauge cluster bad? Why only when its cold? Thanks.

Cowboy6622 12-05-2007 08:30 PM

RE: 04 Monte Crazy speedo when cold...

the cold part is what throws me.... maybe just a strange coincidence? i think somebody had a similar problem a few weeks ago but i don't remember the name of hte thread or anything... so anyways, welcome to the forum [sm=welcomesign.gif]

2000LS 12-05-2007 11:08 PM

i cant recall the specifics, but i think i put a cluster ina 05 a couple months ago for the speedo sticking

Chucks88SS 12-06-2007 08:21 PM

IM having the EXACT same problem. it only came about when the cold weather started. its a real pisser, and there are no aftermarket clusters to go with. were boned......

kweef 12-06-2007 10:15 PM

lol interstin word choice

Chucks88SS 12-07-2007 10:18 PM

not sure what tv show i heard it on but ive been saying "boned" all damm week!! it just comes up! In all seriousness though, i cant understand how so many people can have this problem and GM just sits there and does nothing about it.

BillFromTR 12-07-2007 10:37 PM

Warrantee? Maybe you were really doing 140? lol

Chucks88SS 12-07-2007 11:40 PM

Ive got pics of the needle buried at the edge of the speedo, but i was driving down a one way street at maybe 30 mph. I was reading an TSB about the gauges making noise and something about the stepper motors inside the cluster getting stuck. which i think is happening. i might open my spare cluster just to take a look. if there is something i can lube with grease or a light oil. I'm gonna try and see what it does. i just hate having to leave my baby in the hands of some idiot that really doesn't care but wants to push it through so he can get his hours. it just really PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!

OK i can return to normal breathing now, lol!!

blazerman3 12-16-2007 09:54 AM

The daughter`s 04 Impala does this too when it`s cold. Intermittant at best.....

HyperFox 12-16-2007 02:24 PM

I wonder if there is cracks in the speedo's saudering that contract when it gets cold out causing it to go nuts..

04 Intimidator 12-17-2007 12:11 AM

They are notorious for going bad. My oil pressure is on the fritz like that again but this is also my second cluster so I'm not happy at all.

Now mine also really only happens on long trips and I really notice it over 200 miles when I stop for gas or I am in traffic and going 65 then 75 back to 65, etc.

The trick that worked for me is that I turned the car off, turned it to accessory and you can hear the gauges reset themselves and the spedometer will tick back about 5 mph. You just need to do this until it zeros itself out.

Someone did this a few weeks ago and his speedo doesn't work at all anymore so it sounds like there is a risk, but it's broken already so I wouldn't really worry about it. This is a band aid fix that seems to be good for a few months before you need to do it again.

Cori04Monte 02-12-2008 05:04 PM

Yea that worked for me one time, now thats its really cold here (chicagoland) its getting worse. Now the tachometer is doing the same thing not tomention the windshield wipers will stop mid-window when turned off instead of going back to their rest position. Also the A/C button lights up when I start the car, I obviously am not using it. Very weird. Can't say for sure, but i'm expecting it to go away by summer, any help guys? I'm thinking the body control module maybe?

Taz 02-12-2008 06:48 PM

I was just going to suggest the BCM.
I had to have my guage cluster replaced last month because the temp guage went WAY past maximum. It was covered under my extended warranty.
If it was just the guages, I'd say the guage cluster needs replacing. But with the other problems you mentioned, it sounds like the BCM. Or a combo of the BCM and a faulty guage cluster.

04 Intimidator 02-12-2008 09:24 PM

Yeah, could be the BCM as well. I hear this problem alot on the 04 and 05 models.

I can't say that I have the same problem in the cold though as it is parked for the winter.

poolgiant70 04-26-2011 11:09 AM

wow, glad to see I'm not the only one. The spedometer sticking in my '04 was the whole reason I joined this site. How hard is it to replace gauge? I use my GPS to tell me how fast I'm going, cant wait to get rid of that thing

red04montels 04-26-2011 11:13 AM

woah, old thread.

check my video on how to remove the dash to get to the gauge cluster.

YouTube - How to Remove a 00-05 Monte Carlo Dash-red04montels-HD

bbengineer.com is a great place to send your cluster to for fixing