General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

02 monte ss ACtroubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 02 monte ss ACtroubles

Hey guys I just picked up a 02 ss and I'm working out a few bugs, The biggest trouble is the AC not blowing cold. It has enough freon in it that the compressior kicks on and stays on but no cold air. The lines dont heat up or cool down in use. I am rounding up gauges to check pressure thinking maybe it has too much, I doubt it but you never know. I did a bit of a search but Im on lunch break so I thought I would ask the masses and I can check in later to see if nyone may have an Idea
btw it has 150k miles on a 3.8l and drives like a dream
Thanks guys

Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
1 Year Member

Also where would the orifice tube be in general area? Could this possibly be plugged up causing my problem

Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would consider, Having it checked out/recharged professionally...
That way you get it properly filled/lubed (oiled) and that way all the air gets vacuumed out of the system as well....

1 air pocket in the system = no AC!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 08-30-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
1 Year Member

Agreed. I stopped by my buddies shop for him to look at it and I told him that I had already tried to add some r134 but it wouldn't take it. Unfortunately he was too busy at the time. He notes that the compression was turning but didn't appear to be pumping on initial inspection. I pretty much do all the car repairs but unfortunately I don't know anything about ac. My other cars don't have them. Too old

Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 PM

5 Year Member

When your talking about the Orafice tube... Are you meaning the Evap tube?

It should be against/near the firewall on the passenger side.... I had a plugged Evap tube ...it was cool air comeing out... But not super cold as it was trying to cool down all that water that's collected in the heatercore caseing....
Do you hear any sloshing noises comeing from inside the heater core area?

Old 08-31-2013, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
1 Year Member

I haven't noticed any sloshing around but I haven't been listening for it. I did notice last night that it does try to cool a little bit. Thanks for the info I will have a look for the evap tube filter. It's the same think I'm sure, I've always called them the orfice tube

Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hooked up gauges today on the low side only as my buddy didn't have the high side adapter, on low side the pressure was 100psi which was too high so he was thinking it had too much r134 so he removed some down to about 40 psi and it didn't change a thing temp wise, actually maybe not blowing as cool as before. He's a h vac not a auto guy but still I was able to get pressure. He's thinking the compressor isn't operating properly like a valve isn't opening properly inside it. Any thoughts?

Old 09-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The compressor could be damaged, but I would also check the condenser. If it is clogged so air flow is restricted it could cause a rise in the low pressure side. Monitoring both high and low side is required for diagnostics.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:35 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
The compressor could be damaged, but I would also check the condenser. If it is clogged so air flow is restricted it could cause a rise in the low pressure side. Monitoring both high and low side is required for diagnostics.

X2!
Thanks Mike!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
1 Year Member

You know I had cleaned the front of the radiator as it had what looked like blown insulation packed into it in spots. The condenser is tucked away pretty good. I'll have to see what it takes to get to it. Do you know if it can be sprayed out with a hose without removing anything. It's finally raining here and it will be a bit for me to go out and have a look