FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Guide: Seafoam +

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 AM

I gave my 96 Camaro the seafoam treatment when I had it. Definitely made a difference. Smoked like hell at first but once it stopped it was good to go. I'll probably give the Monte the treatment at some point. Be interesting to see what my truck would do if I used seafoam on it. The Burb has 250k on the clock. Still runs well though. Put a tranny in it not too long ago. Considering the motor will last me another 250k as long as I take care of it I think it's a good investment. That truck has been through a lot with me, through some of the lowest points in my life. It's beat up and ugly but no rust and it's MY truck. Just the way I like it. May take off the TBI and put a TPI top end on it (with Vortec heads) at some point but we'll see. I think the torque of the TPI setup would suit it well. I know someone who did it and he's very pleasantly surprised with it.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Just did mine this morning. Went relatively easy. Put half in the oil, a whole can in the gas tank, the fun part was the vacuum line. It took a little work to get it off, then my funnel was actually to fat to fit in the line (it was the same size as the line itself) so w/ some help from an assistant, he held it to the line while I poured, which worked fine, I did stall it once while pouring, so I started it again and finished. Although when I got to the last part where I tried to flood it, it didn't flood, just all went in and smoked like a chimney. So I just shut it off. It did knock a few times while doing it though.

I noticed for a few seconds after I first started driving it, when I hit the gas, the idle bounced a bit, but after a few that went away, drove the **** out of it on the highway and she's all good! Great use of 14 dollars in my opinion. I think I'll make this part of my pre-winter treatment from now on!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Just did mine this morning. Went relatively easy. Put half in the oil, a whole can in the gas tank, the fun part was the vacuum line. It took a little work to get it off, then my funnel was actually to fat to fit in the line (it was the same size as the line itself) so w/ some help from an assistant, he held it to the line while I poured, which worked fine, I did stall it once while pouring, so I started it again and finished. Although when I got to the last part where I tried to flood it, it didn't flood, just all went in and smoked like a chimney. So I just shut it off. It did knock a few times while doing it though.

I noticed for a few seconds after I first started driving it, when I hit the gas, the idle bounced a bit, but after a few that went away, drove the **** out of it on the highway and she's all good! Great use of 14 dollars in my opinion. I think I'll make this part of my pre-winter treatment from now on!
where is the vacuum line that you used for our engines?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
where is the vacuum line that you used for our engines?
Previous page I had a picture from a Grand Am - that's how I found mine, but I took some pictures for you just now.

It's the line that pops out behind the "4" in "3400"

Then it runs over to the brake fluid reservoir in the back

It's off to the side on the back - be careful because there's a thin wire in front of it that you don't want to break when trying to pop out the vacuum line.

Edit: One thing to note, once you open the vacuum line and start it up, it won't actually idle high it'll fluctuate up and down. When you pour in the seafoam it'll idle up for a sec then drop back down and continue to fluctuate. Pour it in in small bursts, don't do a continuous stream and don't give it a big gulp, wait for it to rev up and die back down before you put another bit in. If you put in too much, it'll stop for a sec then it'll knock when it comes back up. So try to find the happy medium there. If you do stall it when you're pouring, when you start it back up, it'll probably knock then too, mine did.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 10-08-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Previous page I had a picture from a Grand Am - that's how I found mine, but I took some pictures for you just now.

It's the line that pops out behind the "4" in "3400"

Then it runs over to the brake fluid reservoir in the back

It's off to the side on the back - be careful because there's a thin wire in front of it that you don't want to break when trying to pop out the vacuum line.

Edit: One thing to note, once you open the vacuum line and start it up, it won't actually idle high it'll fluctuate up and down. When you pour in the seafoam it'll idle up for a sec then drop back down and continue to fluctuate. Pour it in in small bursts, don't do a continuous stream and don't give it a big gulp, wait for it to rev up and die back down before you put another bit in. If you put in too much, it'll stop for a sec then it'll knock when it comes back up. So try to find the happy medium there. If you do stall it when you're pouring, when you start it back up, it'll probably knock then too, mine did.
awesome man, thanks a ton! i'll probably do this beginning of summer... so far away hah

Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

This is also popular on a couple of the truck forums I visit. The only difference is when they get to the bottom of the container they give it a large amount so the engine dies then let it sit and 'soak in' for about 20 minutes or so before they restart. They also recommend doing this just prior to a tune up since it can foul the spark plugs.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Nice post Justin. I think i'm gonna try this on the Grand Prix because it seems a little sluggish. It was driven by a young girl and an older lady so im sure it has some carbon build up.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

Did my intrigue friday night, wasn't too bad idle seems a titch smoother now

Old 10-10-2011, 01:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
Did my intrigue friday night, wasn't too bad idle seems a titch smoother now
That's what i'm hoping to achieve, but I think it probably needs a cat.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 PM

I use kleen flo crankcase cleaner at oil changes big lumps come out. For the rest i use lucas oil injector cleaner with ever fill up.
Duderino

Quick Reply: Guide: Seafoam +