FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: List of Common Monte Carlo Problems and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Default Replaced radiator..still over heats..

Anyone know why Imy 03 overheats after I replaced cracked radiator and thermastat? someone said blown gaskets if smoke is coming from tail pipe but theres none.. I did recently get an oil change and saw they were on the news for messing up cars on purpose to get them to come back..any idea what they could have done? My 20 minute oil change turned into 45 minutes and week later I over heat with a cracked radiator. ~Amy

Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM

If the cooling system no longer has any leaks it can't be that. Is the water to antifreeze ratio correct? Is the thermostat actually opening and opening at teh correct temp? You should be able to tell if it is opening by feeling or squeezing the hose that comes from it. It will be hot and you should be able to feel the coolant going through it. Is your radiator fan working? These are some of the things I would look at.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Default Replace PCV in 2003 Monte SS

I am trying to locate the PCV in my 2003 Monte Carlo SS. The check engine light came on today. I am in the process of checking/changing out what could be causing this. I cleaned the air filter -- looked new, but vaccumed it anyway. Added an octane booster and topped the tank with 96 octane fuel. Having difficulty finding the location of the PCV... not where I thought it would be on the valve covers? Any help would be great -- pictures speak a thousand words!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Great thread Chibi... My Moms car needs this done. Stepdad is going to do it for her(ISS lube) this weekend. May have him do mine while he is at it for preventative measure.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KathiP
I am trying to locate the PCV in my 2003 Monte Carlo SS. The check engine light came on today. I am in the process of checking/changing out what could be causing this. I cleaned the air filter -- looked new, but vaccumed it anyway. Having difficulty finding the location of the PCV... not where I thought it would be on the valve covers? Any help would be great -- pictures speak a thousand words!
Take off the engine cover, to the left of the upper intake manifold is the PCV location. Just unplug, push down and turn (like a safety medicine bottle) and it will pop right out.

Don't forget to transfer the o-rings to the new one.

Originally Posted by KathiP
Added an octane booster and topped the tank with 96 octane fuel.
Don't waste your money with that stuff. You aren't boosted, you don't need anything other than regular gas. If you NEED to put something in it to feel happy and like you cleaned something, run a can of seafoam in your next full tank of gas.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:23 PM

I've noticed a grinding noise when turning hard and backing up but it only comes at the extreme end of the turn when the wheels won't go any farther. Does anyone know what this could be?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 PM

i have another problem and solution to add up there:

windshield wipers not going to park position when turned off

solution: remove cowl and look for a small metal tab on the wiper transmission. This usually gets bent outta place and the wipers don't know where to park. straighten that tab out.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks, I'll add it now!

Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Do you Know how to turn of your day time headlights on a 03' SS???

Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 AM

I am getting an electrical static noise in the drivers door speaker. All you have to do is open the door. Nothing on except the saftey/security system. My local dealership says it's the amp in the trunk? HELP!

Quick Reply: Repair Guide: List of Common Monte Carlo Problems and Solutions