FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Repair Guide: Finally!!! Gauge Cluster Problem Fix!! - Stepper Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Monte Carlo
what is his website I don't see it, I wonder if he can put LED'S on it like this
OMG if that was red id be drooling a lil bit more. I wounder will the do a 98 cluster?

Old 01-20-2010, 02:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by gothkid
OMG if that was red id be drooling a lil bit more. I wounder will the do a 98 cluster?
http://mymonte.com/discussion/topic/...-led-infopics/

Do your own. You don't have to solder

Old 03-19-2010, 05:16 PM

This saved me a lot of cash. Thanks for the info. Replaced all motors in less than an hour and spent roughly $35. It took less than an hour start to finish, and all gauges now work. (4 out of 6 were wacky).

Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 PM

yourz look backwards what kind of monte do you own? all my gauges are on the left hand side

Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM

My '05 Monte has the same problem. It seems like my speedo only gets stuck during cold weather, because it works fine when the temp outside is over 60. This might just be a coincidence though.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:00 PM

I just purchased a 2001 Monte Carlo LS for my son on Monday. It seems his fuel gauge and temp gauge are not working correctly and I found this thread. I have a couple of questions:

1. Are all four step motors the same? Speed same as the one for temp, etc...

2. I've done a lot of soldering on stereos over the years, but what is a "solder sucker" and where can I get one? I understand what it does, just have never seen one before.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hunting555
I just purchased a 2001 Monte Carlo LS for my son on Monday. It seems his fuel gauge and temp gauge are not working correctly and I found this thread. I have a couple of questions:

1. Are all four step motors the same? Speed same as the one for temp, etc...

2. I've done a lot of soldering on stereos over the years, but what is a "solder sucker" and where can I get one? I understand what it does, just have never seen one before.

Thanks for the help.
On my '06, all steppers were the same. I would think the other years would be the same.

As for the "solder sucker", it's just a hand operated vacuum solder removal tool (push and release). Unless you're used to desoldering with that or solder wick, I have a suggestion for you.

A de-soldering iron will protect the board a lot better than a sucker. They aren't that expensive at radio shack, and a board costs a lot more. It's simply a soldering iron with a bulb attached. I work on electronics for a living, and use this every time I replace a part. 20 bucks well spent.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 PM

I have this problem on my car, and the only thing that's pissing me off is the speed odometer. The temp, boost, and the rest of the gauges work perfectly fine.

Is there something I need to purchase to make my speed odometer function normal?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 00SSsupercharged
I have this problem on my car, and the only thing that's pissing me off is the speed odometer. The temp, boost, and the rest of the gauges work perfectly fine.

Is there something I need to purchase to make my speed odometer function normal?
That probably just means you only have one stepper motor going bad so far. It needs to be replaced, and would make sense to do the other ones while you're at it. They'll probably fail too, and it won't take that much longer. At ~$4.00 each on ebay, it doesn't cost that much to do.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Thank you first for the info. We have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with 50,000 miles on odometer. The tachometer started acting up about 3 months ago. It wasn't until the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge started going wacko that I found this forum. I ordered stepper motors and got them and was planning on doing the repair tomorrow. My wife came home today from a funeral with a speeding ticket for 20 over on freeway. Do we bite the bullet and pay $175 or will taking it to speedometer shop to verify defect help us save some money?

Quick Reply: Repair Guide: Finally!!! Gauge Cluster Problem Fix!! - Stepper Motor