FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Guide: 7th gen '06-'07 - How To Remove Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 7th gen '06-'07 - How To Remove Steering Wheel

ok I just replaced my steering wheel with a new steering wheel with the stereo controls. there were no posts about the 7th gen on a how to but a little for the 6th gen though it did help a little.

first things first disconnect the battery completely so what ever battery power is out of the system wait about two hours. I did I didn't want to accidently have the air bag engage by accident. make sure you disconnect the battery from both posts no excuses no one wants to get another air bag those things are expencive no excusses do it.

the hole you see you will use a thin allen wrench to go threw that whole. to push that metal spring tab holding the air bag in be care full on doing so because it is a little tricky on finding it and it is easy to miss. once it is off there is two wires attached to the air bag one is for the horn and one is for the air bag its self. there is a pull type of tab on the wires pull it gently it will stop it is like one of the normal interior tabs. but be extreamly care full you don't want it coming apart. once it is pulled out still attached though but pulled out. there are two pinch points on the wires press them and they will come off the air bag. once fully disconnected be extreamly care full one selling it down on a dry place bottom down. once that is set off to the sidethe steering wheel bolt I remember is 21 or 22 mm I used a socket to get a little leverage. to lossen the bolt then use a steering wheel puller I got mine from o'rielys auto I ordered it don't get me wrong I could have gotten a rental but they didn't have it in stock to rent no auto parts stores did. autozone and advanced auto looked at me funny saying the normal screw type would work no no it wont. it has to have the l shape pullers to pull the wheel. this is the part # from O'rielly auto parts W89704 for 69.99. same price for renting it so I went ahead and got it my self to own. never know I might need it later on for some thing else if I need to fix some thing behind the wheel like the turn signal switch. it helped having the wheel out of the way fixing that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0061.JPG (1.75 MB, 45 views)
DSCN0062.JPG (1.70 MB, 38 views)
DSCN0063.JPG (1.70 MB, 44 views)
DSCN0055.JPG (1.82 MB, 41 views)

Last edited by monte07; 09-03-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:59 AM
15 Year Member

is there a way to edit the post name? I just noticed I messed it up.

it should say how to remove steering wheel

Old 09-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks I think something in the airbag is why my horn doesn't work

Old 09-07-2016, 04:39 AM
15 Year Member

I would double check the wires and the grounds behind the airbag. just for grins to see if the wires needing to be pushed back in and also nothing else is wrong. I did the same thing when I put this wheel on I didn't have the conectors on all the way and the horn worked intermittently. check that other than that I hop all goes well.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:16 AM

Which side is the hole on? I've felt around and can't find it, and I'm just about to need to replace my steering wheel radio controls.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM

Bump....

Old 11-03-2016, 01:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 96z34man
Which side is the hole on? I've felt around and can't find it, and I'm just about to need to replace my steering wheel radio controls.
If it's like my Camaro, you have to turn the wheel 180 degrees so that the bottom is facing up. Then you'll see the 2 holes that you have to angle your allen wrench into.