Repair Guide: 06/07 - Cold Air Inductions CAI box electrical problems

Old 10-10-2015, 03:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 06/07 - Cold Air Inductions CAI box electrical problems

Overview: the Cold Air Inductions cold air intake box is slightly too large and has the possibility to cause problems to your vehicle as reported by a few members including myself. Here is what to look for to save you from a 900 dollar dealer trip! (trust me)

Signs:
Hesitation under wide open throttle
Hesitation taking off from a stop sign/light
Car stalls out under throttling
Car acting "possessed"
Door locks lock and unlock repeatedly while driving
Dash lights flicker
Car shows it is switching from Park to Neutral while driving (scary)

Problem:
The Cold Air Inductions cold air intake box is quite large, but easy to install. What happens is behind and around the box there are many ground wires and screws. The Cold Air Inductions box has the possibility to rub up against one of these wires or knock up against a screw or bolt and short out your cars electric system causing the problems listed above.

As with my problem it rubbed onto a ground wire and broke through into the wire. Here is a picture I took as an example.

You can see the box on the top of the picture (blue arrow) and the clearly cut wire pointed out (red arrow)

This had the Dealership I took it to and myself stumped on why my car was acting up, before at home I found this wire.

Solution:

The only solution I came up with is before you install it take some electrical tape and wrap any wires sitting behind or below the box nice and thick so the box can not cut through them. I have done this and have not have any problems since.
Make sure box is clear of any screws/bolts

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cai.jpg (79.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by The_Maniac; 10-10-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:01 PM

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your concern and taking the time to explain the problem to some of the forum members. I am not sure who you contacted about this matter but we have made it a know issue that is very easy to address. I have attached a file that contains the instructions for the Monte Carlo air intake system. The instruction pamphlet was updated years back when the newer body Monte and impala came out. The second page clearly states the measures you can take to totally avoid the issue all together. If anyone has any questions or concerns, you can contact Cold Air Inductions Inc. during our business hours @ (810)392-9999. Thanks!

Mark Gallop
Cold Air Inductions Inc.
(810)392-9999

Old 10-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Default File for Monte Carlo and Impala.

Here is the file for the above post.

Attached Files

Search this Thread