Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

zzp billet fuel log problem and solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation zzp billet fuel log problem and solution

so, after getting my SS m90 kit installed about a week ago my mechanic told me that the aluminized brackets to hold the fuel logs down were crap, and that he did his best to get them the tightest, as he thought they would work fine, but that there could be a better solution through R & D. well, today after washing my car enjoying my day off, i give it some gas from a red light and sputter sputter, more sputtering, *strong gas odor* i pull over to the parking lot of walgreens, pop the hood to notice gas EVERYWHERE. i look around for leaks, but gas is everywhere. too hard to tell where its coming from. call my mechanic, and im so glad he's cool. he closes the shop and drives over to where im at, checks it out and finds that the rear fuel log popped up, as he could see the O-ring on the injector. I have it TOWED to the shop since i didnt wanna have my car burst into flames, and he tells me to give him an hour, as he has a better solution to zzp's bracket design. ZZP sends the brackets to be able to tighten them down to the valve covers, so its a crappy, bent more than neccessary design from the beginning. after about an hour he comes back and tells me to check them out. not only did it look cleaner, it held without any flex! he cut and bent the aluminized brackets to be held under the intake manifold bolt, which is straight down from where the brackts are, instead of reaching all the way down to the valve cover.
before i bought the billet fuel logs, i sent zzp an email because this concerned me. i've read reviews about it and i wanted to make sure this wouldnt happen. they assured me that since the price jump 379 to 429 for the logs, they put in R & D to make sure these things wouldnt happen, as they had complaints about this issue. i dunno, but my mechanic did all that "R & D" in about an hour off the top of his head. I like zzp and dont buy from anyone else, but this hit me hard. my car could've caught fire!
i will be posting up pictures tomorrow hopefully of the new design, as i will also be sending the picture to zzp so they can hopefully redesign this and not have any problems in the future for other people.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to hear it was fixed properly

I wish I could find a mechanic like this in Philadelphia! haha

Old 04-28-2009, 10:51 AM

You're really lucky your car didn't catch fire!

PRJ fuel logs FTW!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:23 PM

I like zzp and dont buy from anyone else,
I beg you to reconsider this philosophy. I mean ZZP makes some great products, but as you saw with the fuel logs...there are much better designs out there for some stuff.
The only reason I got the zzp logs is that I paid a bit less than a set of modded stock rails cost. Otherwise I would have taken a different route as far as my fuel rails (still may sooner or later).

Although....do any of the other aftermarket fuel rails work with the SSm90 kit?
Or did the design pretty much require you to buy a set of zzp logs?

-Riggs.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

it did. i actually sent an email to prj to see if their fuel rails would work and they said it wouldnt. reason being, i needed my injectors to stand straight up going into the manifold, the L67 engine slants their injectors into the heads. its the only way the kit will work. i explored my options haha. didnt have good results, but explored them.

i like buying from zzp because i like the fabrication thing. i like knowing companys put effort into their products. i want to see how zzp handles the email i sent them along with the pictures, and then we'll go from there.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

you have the older zzp rail. i heard lot of people have problem with fuel leaks. there's a local guy have the same fuel log as yours he went through 3 of them and they all leaked.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

how can you tell mine are the older sets?

i told my mechanic to check them out prior to install since i've heard sketchy things about them. they checked out fine, checked for leaks after install and everytime i've gone back since. actually went there today to get my fuel pump rewire installed and he checked all the lines and injectors again for me. all good.

i know there are 2 different rail looks. the L67 billet fuel logs are square, as opposed to the L36 round logs.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:36 PM
2009 Monte Of The Year

the one you have is what they used to sell. here is their newest one they now sell.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=259&catid=113

Old 05-15-2009, 01:39 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

hmm,

i think the redesign only applied for L67 engines, due to the injectors slanting into the heads. if you look on the pictures, you can see where the injectors connect to on the fuel rails, they are slanted. with the SS M90 kit, the injectors stand straight up to go into the manifold.
not sure what zzp has done, but im thinking they only redesigned the L67 fuel logs.....or maybe they redesigned the L36 m90 kit logs, but kept them round instead of square.

new injector clips are now installed, and i feel safe haha. with the brackets my mechanic designed and the injector clips, those logs aint going anywhere and neither will my injectors.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 PM
2009 Monte Of The Year

didn't you bought the rail used from someone at clubgp? i don't recall zzp make rail for L36 M90 top swap. think all their billet rail are for the L67. i'm cheap right now lucky me i picked up wbody store mod fuel rail. they are out of stock as of now...and i got one haha. i'm getting all my parts together for my full size ic. just now waiting for my polish M90 case to finish up. can't wait to show off my Bling Bling.

Quick Reply: zzp billet fuel log problem and solution