Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Yikes!!trac off abs service traction system lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The rears can actually also set those lights.

Instead of just replacing parts, get the ABS code read by a mechanic and that should pinpoint the exact one that is throwing the problem.

Also, when replacing bearings, try to stick with ACDelco or TIMKEN parts

Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 AM
Default same prob

how do you know which wheel hub is the bad guy? also a friend told me that it could be the transmission speed sensor??

Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 AM

I had the exact same problem that a lot of you are having. My "Service Traction System" message would come on randomly. The past couple of weeks it has been on all the time. I scanned the code and it was "Pump motor short to ground" I checked the ground on the abs pump and sure enough it had rubbed through in two places. I put some electrical tape over the wire and re-routed it and the problem totally went away. Just thought I would share so you guys can check that wire. I should of taken a picture of which one it was but I didn't think about it. It really isn't too hard to find if you look for it.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 AM

I had this exact same problem on my seventh gen LTZ...it would sometimes trip the light just by revving it in park :/. what im about to say next may sound crazy, but it actually worked. A member here named God_Bot suggested I clean my throttle body. I was skeptical, but did it one day while I was replacing the plugs. Ever since then, i can squeal the tires on wet or dry pavement, rev it in park, whatever....and not set the light off. Somehow it worked for me, maybe it could work for you too?

Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have a question, Once the bad sensor is replaced the Traction, ABS, Brake system should reset itself, or do you have to take is somewhere to have it reset? Curious Old mind wants to know!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i second that ^^^ because i changed my passenger front wheel hub with a timken, and i thought it would reset but i still get the track off, the abs light, service traction soon, and from time to time the brake light comes on after i completed a left or right turn

Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Exclamation Help!!!

ive got a 02 monte ss and im experiencing the service trax light, abs light, and trac off light when making sharp turns even at slow speeds and especially if i use the brakes or gas with the wheel turned almost all the way. The really wierd part tho is that i can feel like a grinding or rubbing when this happens. Any ideas please throw em out there thnx all! Btw my first post on this amazing site DRIVE FAST TURN LEFT!!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM

I've never had this issue until my 3 hours drive today; I get the service traction light, coming on probably 6 or 7 times, sometimes it would turn traction control off and other times it wouldn't; The ABS light would also come on, sometimes at the same time and other times not. I also noticed the red brake light coming on from time to time. Yesterday I was working on my K & N filter; after I added an intercooler, the throttle body is a few inches higher than stock & the rubber boot that connects to the throttle body actually pulled off :-S (so I was running with no air cleaner for a while) I haven't had time to look yet, but I did put a spacer under the bolt that the ground wire by the PCM connects too. I bet I don't have a good ground.

@ 0TheMonteCristo2 do you have stock sized rims & tires on, or did you recently change something?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Your doing the right thing by checking this forum. I had the same problem. I did not check here first. My mistake! Listened to 2 shops. Both were wrong. OK, lets move on to the problem. As you read this forum, it seems to be a 50/50 chance to solve it. People say to change the wheel hub. Reason... to replace the sensor. It comes with a new one. And in my case, it didn't solve my problem. So it had to be the ABS wire harness. Poor design from what I read. Had someone replace it for me. PROBLEM SOLVED ! Why I didn't do my home work on this problem, not sure. Always do. From buying things to getting things fixed. Live and learn. I would have saved alot of $$$. By the way, the ABS wire harness goes for under $40.00. Just need someone to put it in for you. Good luck. Let me know how you made out.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 PM

Nope all stock parts, just scheduled an appointment with my shop. I found the more i baby turns the less it occurs when i do take em tight and hard

Quick Reply: Yikes!!trac off abs service traction system lights