Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Xp cam e85 l67 only makes 255whp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:17 PM

I guess I don't see what kind of data there is to collect without an IC since there is nothing you can change to impact it. I guess my concern is that if they're already limiting timing at 250 F with a 3.5" pulley, what are they going to do when they see 300 F (just making a number up) on a 3.0"? I'd just hate for them to go crazy pulling timing because of that.

As far as the cam, I wouldnt bother checking it at this point. It's already in, so it's too late to do anything about it. It's not like it's going to change the tuning process if it's one vs the other.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can tell you that it probably has come close to the 300 mark it was hitting 250 before the end of my dyno pulls when the valve was leaking.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member

I appreciate the info guys. Now can someone kinda give me a crash course of what to look for if i had my own hp tuners. I ask because I would like to invest in the software in the future. I am familiar in the dangers of kr' afr' timing and the basic knowledge of sensors and how they work together.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by haha chad
I appreciate the info guys. Now can someone kinda give me a crash course of what to look for if i had my own hp tuners. I ask because I would like to invest in the software in the future. I am familiar in the dangers of kr' afr' timing and the basic knowledge of sensors and how they work together.
You install a wideband, you want about 11.8 on a wideband. You add fuel or take away fuel until you have that.

You monitor knock, add timing until you get knock, then back off. Then check your wideband some more. Then you adjust until you have the best timing table, without knock, and not running rich or lean.

Tons of information online, lots of tutorials floating around. The PCM on these 3800s are very basic. They are a pretty good one to learn on, as they don't have too many random multipliers and table modifiers outside of what you are looking for.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by haha chad
It depends what your goal is. If your tuner tunes the car, and you're just monitoring it, there isn't much to look at - KR would be all I'd be concerned about unless you had a wide band piped in. I wouldn't screw with the tune once a professional has dialed it in, especially just getting into tuning.

If you're intending to tune your car yourself, Chibi gave a good 30k foot level overview. There is a lot to it though, especially to a good tune. I'd suggest getting on the hpt forums and just reading away in the v6 section.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member

Update. Took a ride with my tuner and the motor decided to chew up a bearing in the bottom end. I Suspect A main bearing. To be continued.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 PM

Sorry to hear, time for some junkyard shopping!

I'd definitely try to figure out root cause on the old engine though. It's not common for them to eat bearings like that and you'd hate to have a repeat issue.

On a side note, there was an interesting thread on a Facebook 3800 page the other day. A few people claimed to be running a 2.8" pulley with similar mods to you, and others even a 2.7" with slightly more mods. So hopefully you can really start making some power once you get it back on the road again.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member

I believe i have a idea about its demise. I had the rods resized for the arp bolts and I asked the machine shop about the main bores about the arp studs and they said I (should) be ok. I got there from another member with out the instructions but when I went to the zzp site and read up on there install instructions they noted that it's Recommended the main bores be machined so I won't know for sure till I take it apart. But yes I saw that post I am still not sure what to make of there setups. I am thinking if it is a main bearing problem that is probably my issue.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:53 PM

Ouch, I bet you're right - They definitely should've honed the mains. To be honest, it doesn't need main studs anyways though, I'd just do a junkyard bottom end next time around, especially if you're sticking with the m90.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member

I went with the studs because I got a killer deal on them and they were cheaper than the new factory bolts.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Xp cam e85 l67 only makes 255whp?