Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Worth doing top end swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:42 AM
Default Worth doing top end swap?

Ok im debating weather to go with a top end swap on my 2001 monte carlo or just flat out pulling the motor and throwing a L67 on there or a 5.3 what do u guys think? And for a top end swap what would be an estimate price range?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Default RE: Worth doing top end swap?

A top swap is going to run you from $1,000-$2000 if you go all out. If you do a top swap, you'll either want to add an external trans cooler, (which go anywhere from$50-$150) or upgrade to a heavy duty trans. I personally would do a motor and trans swap and put the L67 w/the 4T65E-HD trans in it. It will cost more, but you won't have to worry about blowing your non HD trans or hurting your motor.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:15 AM

If it were me (no tools and lazy) I would sell the 01 and buy a 04 or 05 that already has the L67. I mean if your going to spend that much might as well upgrade the whole package and have a newer car and less miles...

Old 05-12-2008, 03:12 PM

there arent many of the SC's 04-05 montes out there and you will loose quite a bit in depreciation when upgrading... so i personally wouldnt recomend this option...

as for your stock NA trany... it will be plenty fine for the SC application with a trany cooler. to be completely honest your motor with a top swap and the trany you have now will be much faster then the l67 with the HD trany... this is cause of two reasons: first, the gearing is diff in your trany which helps acceleration. and second your motor has higher compression... this give much more power for the same amount of boost... the only down fall to the compression is that it makes tuning more difficult and a higher chance that if you have issues that something could break. like headgasket! or pistons that go BOOM.

personally i would go with the top swap... but it all depends on how much money you have, what your plans are for the car, -IE how fast you want it. another thing to consider is your abilities to work on the car... if you are able to do the work then by all means do the top swap... but if it is something that you dont know how to do and doubt you will then i would do the l67 and trany swap... that way when you take it to a mechanic it is basicly a GTP or 05 monte that they are familier with and not a hybrid car that will leave them scratching their heads.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:55 PM

I agree with you, Phoenix.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: z34phoenix

there arent many of the SC's 04-05 montes out there and you will loose quite a bit in depreciation when upgrading... so i personally wouldnt recomend this option...
Theres a couple on ebay for 7.5k and a few for 10k, not sure why you think there aren't many out there and they are not expensive, and a better option for stability than a top swap, especially if he is going to have to pay someone to do it. A quick search on autotrader brought up quite a few too. Save money and just get a newer car is my 2 cents. But hey if he can do all the work himself and find all the parts at a good price more power to him. It will be a fun project.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM

If you really watch your budget and source all your own parts- I think $500-750 installed is totally doable if you have time to wait for deals.

I think the decision as to whether or not to swap the whole engine is -what is the condition of your current engine/trans? If its getting questionable or high mileage- then do a whole L67/4t65hd swap. If its lower mileage and in good shape, then a top swap would be my choice.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:38 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i wouldn't do the 5.3... no offense to our kind 06-07 SS owners out there, but that is too much weight on the front of the car, putting the weight distribution badly on the front axle... meaning your rear will want to come around a little easier. this reason, and the fact that the 3.9 is a little cheaper is the reason the police use the 3.9 instead of hte 5.3 in the new impalas.

whichever way you go, be careful.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

i wouldn't do the 5.3... no offense to our kind 06-07 SS owners out there, but that is too much weight on the front of the car, putting the weight distribution badly on the front axle... meaning your rear will want to come around a little easier. this reason, and the fact that the 3.9 is a little cheaper is the reason the police use the 3.9 instead of hte 5.3 in the new impalas.

whichever way you go, be careful.
I don't mean to be a disagreer...but that isn't the reason the police use the 3900. GM's 9C1 and 9C3 packaged Impala's ONLY come with the 3900...there is no option for the 5.3L. (which I think is bogus)You can't even special order the 5.3L in the Impalas without buying an SS...I don't know why people are so adament towards top swaps, they're dangerous, potentially costly, and why not swap an L67 and have a motor designed to take the extra power of the supercharger. Maybe I'm just not brave enough...lol.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: rysZ34
I don't know why people are so adament towards top swaps, they're dangerous, potentially costly, and why not swap an L67 and have a motor designed to take the extra power of the supercharger. Maybe I'm just not brave enough...lol.
This is why I suggested just upgrading to a newer car. You could end up spending way more in the long run on repairs and new parts than if you just bought a car with the L67 stock. I really don't think it would cost much at all if you sold your car privately and then found a good deal on a supercharged monte at a dealer. You would probly actually save money in the long run and even get some warranty this way.

Quick Reply: Worth doing top end swap?