Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Why is my 01 monte ss jerking????

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Default Why is my 01 monte ss jerking????

im new to the site. i was looking around to see if anyone is having the same problems as me guess not but there are similar situations as mine but heres my problem.

well i have an 01 monte carlo ss 3.8 with 116k on the dash. every time i drive my car it jerks or hicups, but when i first turn it on its fine no problems, i think its when it warms up. but the other day i noticed it while it wasnt @ operating temp. it statrted to jerk when i would press on the gas , its like the rpm gauge drops then catches itself. when it reaches higher rpms hit jerks more. when i come to a stop light, taco bell line, the car would jerk and just die when its stopped, i would than put it in nuetral and turn it on one shot and put it in drive. it would jerk @ any speeds. i do have a check engine light on but i know it wouldnt cause it. its pretty much for my knock sensor and my 02 sensor. i had my mec reset the the light to see if it was it and it still jerks with the service light off, i recently changed the spark plugs, wires, 1 knock sensor, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator (recall), and a crankshaft sensor.
can anybody help??

Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

mine jerked a little bit the other day but it went away when i shut it down and started it up again

Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 PM

try stepping on it. it probably didnt go away thats how mine started, look @ your temp if it does it again

Old 09-11-2009, 06:46 AM

A link to my thread is below. I was having somewhat similar problems. My resolution may help you (Coil pack and fuel Injector). Good luck.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=15713

Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 AM

Have you actually had the code read at Autozone/Advance/wherever? Could be a slew of bad sensors- a bad coil pack is definitely a likely suspect. Get the code(s) read and report back to us.

Oh, and if you know one or both knock sensors aren't working, don't "step on it".

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How's your tranny fluid? Oil? Last full tune-up?

How hard do you drive the car?

Old 09-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

this is a dumb question did you gap your plugs when ypu put em in and make sure they wires where on all are on all the way

Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

also i would say check that your cps is tight and corectly positioned

Old 09-12-2009, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by 03SS/00GSE/93LX
Have you actually had the code read at Autozone/Advance/wherever? Could be a slew of bad sensors- a bad coil pack is definitely a likely suspect. Get the code(s) read and report back to us.

Oh, and if you know one or both knock sensors aren't working, don't "step on it".
yea, i had the codes read i looked at them myself it said that i needed 2 knock sensors, i dont know the actual code, and the scanner said the that my 02 in bank 1 is lean. 1 code that i seen was p0410 its says secondary air injection. im not sure what that is ... i think its emissions but in fl. we dont need emissions.
now the coil packs, will my service engine light come on if its bad ???? how can you tell if the coil packs are bad???? how do you adjust the crankshaft sensor?

this jerking actually started before i changed my spark plugs and wires, and yes i gapped them. i did a tune up about a week ago to see of it would correct the problem but its still there.
i checked the fluids there all good. but i noticed when i checked the tranny fluid it hadd bubbles??? what does that mean? the tranny fluid looks good its red.
my driving is good i dont mash on the pedal all the time just when i have slooww people in front of me or when the light goes orange lol

Last edited by ssnowhite; 09-12-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:46 AM

I would say coil pack

Quick Reply: Why is my 01 monte ss jerking????