Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

White Smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Default White Smoke...

Ive been having white smoke blow out of the exhaust for about a month now, since around the time i had my new exhaust built. Ive checked the oil and oil cap, and theres no white milky substance that would represent coolant in the oil. Ive also kept a close eye on the anti freeze level and i havent lost any. Anyone have an idea what could be the problem? The only time the smoke blows out is when i am slowing down after driving a small distance, and that is the ONLY time it blows out. It does slightly trickle out however after i have turned off the engine.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

stop tryin to act like its a diesel lol... sounds like it would be a heat issue? maybe steam or something, or maybe its just burning a coat off the new exhaust... if you dont notice anything else thats going wrong your probably gonna be okay

Old 10-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

my first thought was blown head gasket...but if your not loosing coolant i'm kinda outa awncers

Old 10-20-2009, 09:03 PM

or ask the shop what could be the problem

Old 10-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

How many miles are on it? Valve seals? Hmmmmm, I really don't know on this one.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM

it only has 66k miles on it, which is why i doubted the blown headgasket, even though they are a common problem, plus i figured if that was that problem it would blow it out all the time. And i also thought i could have been burning off some coating with the exhaust, but its been a lengthy time and i would think that would have burned off by now. I pray its not a headgasket, because i would much rather spend my money on something of else of choice lol. I read somewhere about an automatic tranny valve that could leak fluid into a cylinder? im not at all sure about that, but i thought i read something like it somewhere. It doesn't over heat or act funny at any RPM, its just an annoying cloud of smoke. The only positive thing about it is that when i stopped behind a school bus today i gave the car tailgating behind me a smoke screen.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Well with that low of milage, I really don't see what could be wrong with it. The only thing I can think of is the headgasket, which could easily be blown, even at such low milage on that engine.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 AM

have a shop do a leak down test to help put your mind at ease it will show if there any oil mixing and do a pressure teat as well it will show if there any coolent leak. but if you monty ri running exelently like before it just moisture in the air that it is burning off. if you dont smell oil burning or a coolent smell from the exaughst it could be running to rich. it is not a bad thing rather have it run rich and dont break any thing or run to lean and have some thing break. did you do a tune up when you did the up grade and did you check the tune when it was at the shop?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:50 PM

It's not just water vapor from being cold is it? I get vapor all the time, but then again it's cold enough to be snowing right now. If it is just water vapor from being so cold out then it should go away after driving for awhile. Maybe I'll get a video of mine sometime.

A general rule of thumb for those that don't know...

Pure White smoke: Coolant or water condensation from exhaust
Black smoke: Rich gas mixture(unburnt gas)
Blueish white smoke: Oil burning

The reason that so many diesels blow crazy black smoke up here is because they're almost all running way to rich until the turbo(s) kick in.

Being white it might only be water vapor, which isn't a problem. But it could also be blown head gasket, cracked head or cracked block, which is usually a problem.
Some people think blue smoke is actually white because it's usually a blueish white. Does the exhaust have a burnt coolant or oil smell?

Last edited by God_Bot; 10-21-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 PM

it really doesn't have a smell, if anything it smells less then the normal exhaust fumes lol. And no i didn't have it tuned, in fact i don't know when the last time it was tuned, whenever the previous owner last did. As for water vapor i guess it could be possible, but it shoots out a nice puff of smoke everytime i slow down, more so then just vapor. Does anyone know what one of those pressure tests cost to have done?

Quick Reply: White Smoke...