Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Whipple??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:53 AM
1 Year Member
Default Whipple??????

Ok guys I got a tricky one for you or maybe not so tricky question. There is a whipple supercharger/intercooler kit for the Holden 3800 L67. I know in those cars the engine is facing forwards unlike ours and that those are in the australian cars but is that engine different in other way? If not then couldn't we use this kit on our engine as well? I only ask this because the whipple twin screw is a much better superchager that is mor efficient, sounds better, and capible of more. The link bellow shows the kit. let me know what you think.

Yella Terra - Part details

Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 PM

it would fit, same engine remember, i just havent gone under holden on YT's site... didn't think that was still available

Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM

I thought whipple was disc too.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bumpin needs to chime in.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 AM

The Animul whipple kit was discontinued... which is fine because it leaked like a Detroit Diesel, the YT one is not the same kit

Old 09-29-2012, 05:01 PM
1 Year Member

Yea thats true just have to modify the inlet since there engine is front facing. guess I sould check a price. prolly going to be more than i could ever afford. lol

Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM

The australian whipple kit runs around 7k i think

Old 09-29-2012, 11:51 PM

if you're dead set on a blower and you want to run 10's or lower the whipple is definitely the way to go, other wise the m90 is sufficient and you'd be better off staying with the cheaper m90

if you dont have your heart set on a blower a turbo is the cheaper more efficient, easier on the transmission, cheaper route... did i mention it's cheaper?

i would do a whipple before a turbo myself, i love the sound of turbo's and superchargers both but i still think s/c is the way to go because the 3800 can put out as much as a big block at any rpm with a whipple vs a turbo that takes a little time to spool then goes psycho... turbo is definitely better in our fwd situation, but i dont want to stay fwd with mine

Last edited by 2003L67SS; 09-29-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 AM

Ok guys I got a tricky one for you or maybe not so tricky question. There is a whipple supercharger/intercooler kit for the Holden 3800 L67.
Not tricky at all since I own about half of the kit- IMO their lower adapter is the only way to go for a whipple conversion. I wouldn't even consider buying the whole kit though- the inlet would be completely useless, and most of the other parts you'd be better off sourcing yourself (IC pump, radiator, hoses, etc).

You also buy their snout and pulleys to bolt up as well, here is mine:

The upside is, PRJ makes an inlet adapter for the 4 bolt LS style TB's (well, he can get it made, it isn't a shelf stock item)- so your best bet for a whipple is to buy their lower adapter/IC, PRJ's inlet adapter- and then you have minimal work left to do yourself.

The upside is it is easy to upgrade the core size too because of the multi piece design. I got an extended center plate with a 3" core from PRJ:

sounds better
I dunno about that, it's pretty quiet- probably quieter than an M90; definitely a deeper pitch. IMO the KB twin screws sound better- I like the crazy loud whine.

The real downside is they are horrifically expensive. By the time you buy the head unit- the snout, a pulley, the inlet adapter, the lower adapter, an IC system to connect to the IC core, etc- it really is pretty pricey. Add on to that the supporting mods that the engine should already have (heads/cam), and supporting trans mods- and you're looking at more than $10k into the setup at least. It makes it harder that you can't just pick up a used setup in the classifieds, because there are so few of these parts out there- so you're almost forced to buy brand new on all of it. You could get better bang for the buck out of a turbo setup- or out of a LS engine/platform.

There is also all kinds of bad rep about them on the various 3800 forums because of the Animul kit issues. You can make them work- but a lot of people were expecting bolt on kits as promised, but didn't have the ability to correct the various issues with the kit. So many people had issues, that its almost cursed in many peoples eyes.

If you have any whipple questions, just let me know. I think I'm the only one on this board currently running one.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 10-06-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 AM
1 Year Member

Ohh wow I knew it would be exspensive but didnt think that much. I think I will just stick with my original plan and twin charge it haha. But if I do decide to get the whipple I know who to ask about it.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Whipple??????