Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Where do i go now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Default Where do i go now?

okay guys i have all the parts in my sig installed... i am looking to drop the pulley and get her tuned but i need to do that the same day... i am getting a professional tune, the guy is charging me about 300 bucks... he's an expert on our types of cars but i have to drive a little while to get to him (well okay, more than a little while he is in hammond, la). do you think i should switch to a fifth gen s/c? or just drop the pulley size on this one? i am also purchasing some 1.9 rockers next week from my buddy. help plz! input!!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

who is this guy doing the tuning if you don't mind? is he from clubgp or grand prix forums? if he's from clubgp you might want to read on his feedback/post and see if he can tune . i know couple people from both clubs that from louisiana that might be able to help you out. i have to email them tho. they are long time L67 owners and know quite alot on tuning and installing. if it's me i wait on the gen V. wait til you get it tune and install your mods and see where you stand. i think if you get the gen lll port it would be just as good as gen V that's what i'm running now ported gen 3.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:00 PM

he isn't on the clubgp boards but if you wouldn't mind giving me those names in a pm or something i would really appreciate it. this guy works for chevrolet dealership in hammond, la and he is supposed to be the best around here.

i agree with you, eventually i am gonna get the gen 3 ported and i am gonna throw a bigger tb on it before i move up the injectors... i also should put those rockers in ....

Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM

i am looking to drop the pulley and get her tuned but i need to do that the same day
If you have to put the pulley on w/o a tune and drive, I'd just make sure you don't floor it in the mean time, just in case.

do you think i should switch to a fifth gen s/c? or just drop the pulley size on this one? i am also purchasing some 1.9 rockers next week from my buddy.
I think its a great mod, and is basically the equivalent of doing a ported gen 3. So if you were planning on putting a ported gen 3 in anyways, then I'd go for it if the price is right (meaning I wouldn't pay significantly more for a gen 5 than for a ported gen 3, the hp difference isn't that big between the two).

Old 06-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

pm sent mikhail.

hey bum got question on the gen 5. i was talking to this guy locally and he was telling me that on the gen 5 the rotor screw on the gen 5 is little different design than the gen 3. i guess it have more curve or something like that. i was like hmmm, really??

Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 AM

I'm not sure, never held the rotors side by side before. They look about the same from the outlet side.

The new TVS style blowers are supposed to have a good deal different design.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM

thanks chad and silver, much appreciated what do y'all think about going to a larger throttle body? i'm confused about why some people switch theirs out so early and others don't do it even after extensive modding...

Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM

If I were you I would just install the rockers, drop the pulley and see how you like it after the tune.
The rockers and the pulley are going to let you push a lot more air through the engine, so you'll really start noticing the gains if you weren't satisfied with the headers/cai (which are really just supporting mods for a smaller pulley anyways).
Should be a completely different car once everything is installed and it's tuned.

Bumpin's right about driving on a smaller pulley.
As long as you stay out of boost (you have a boost gauge on your dash on the Intimidator that is pretty accurate) you won't knock.
IIRC, you got a scan gauge which will read KR anyways, so you can always back off the gas if you see it start to knock at all.

As far as the number of people upgrading TB's versus not, you probably have to look at what all other mods they have. It really depends on what you have done to the car so far as to whether or not going to a bigger throttlebody will give you any noticeable gains.

Usually, it's not really worth upgrading the TB unless you have opened up the inlet of the blower a bit.
Until the blower inlet is bigger than the TB, then going to a bigger TB isn't worth the time really. You may get a bit better throttle response with a bigger TB on the stock blower inlet, but probably won't see too much of a gain.
Also, when you switch to a gen 5, you can't use the TB from the gen 5 (L32 is drive-by-wire, L67 is cable operated), so people that go to a gen 5 usually just upgrade the TB when they switch rather than buying an adapter for their L67 TB (not to mention that the gen 5 inlet is already bigger than the N* or LS1 TB already).
So, you probably won't see too many upgraded TB's on cars that are still running a stock gen 3 blower.

I don't know what your plan is for injectors, but your stock injectors will be fine until you drop down to about a 3.0" pulley on a gen 3 or a 3.1" on a gen 5.
I would hold off on worrying about injectors until you really need them.
You will be able to tell when the car is tuned, but you're probably a good ways away from needing bigger injectors.

From what I understand, the difference in the rotors between the gen 3 and gen 5 isn't the shape, but the coating.
They changed to a better coating on the gen 5 which gives a better seal and therefore better volumetric efficiency. Othewise the gains from the gen 5 come from the updated case design.
For choosing between the two (ported gen 3 or gen 5), i'm with bumpin that it should be an economically baseed decision.
If you can find a gen 5 for cheap and you want to upgrade then do it.
If you can port the gen 3 yourself (or find a ported one for cheap), then do that.
-Riggs.

PS. here's a link to a thread with some good pics of side-by-side comparisons of a stock gen 3 to a stock gen 5.....

Old 06-15-2009, 04:26 PM

thanks ryan that was very helpful

Old 06-16-2009, 07:48 AM

The blower inlet is the key with bigger TB's. The main upgrade TB is the 75mm N* or LS1, and the blower inlet isn't that big. So there is no sense doing a TB upgrade unless you get a ported blower at the same time IMO.

I know some people are a little intimidated by TB's too. When people first started doing the LS1 TB's, there was a lot of custom bending the brackets and such to work. Now that they sell N* bolt on kits, its a much easier upgrade, and hence why I think people are getting back into it. Making it easier for the M90 to inhale makes the outlet temperatures drop a good bit.

Quick Reply: Where do i go now?