Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

What is a PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good luck, milzy could do it for you. But grain of salt with him.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM

I dunno squat about the 3400's, I could tell you where to get just about any part for a 3800- but not for the 60*'s, I just don't keep up with them anymore (at least not since I yanked the old 3100 out). Its too bad more of the hardcore 60* guys aren't active on here to help people more- they seem to all jump on when there's a 3800 vs 60* battle going on, but are nowhere to be found when someone is asking for mod help...

Old 06-17-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I dunno squat about the 3400's, I could tell you where to get just about any part for a 3800- but not for the 60*'s, I just don't keep up with them anymore (at least not since I yanked the old 3100 out). Its too bad more of the hardcore 60* guys aren't active on here to help people more- they seem to all jump on when there's a 3800 vs 60* battle going on, but are nowhere to be found when someone is asking for mod help...
True that, you also have to count the people that just put 22" on the car and forget about the engine mods. everybody around my area goes for the largest rim they can fit on the car but when you look at the hood they have nothing, so i cant count on them for help with engine mods.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM

i have a ? when i bought my 6th gen it has a digital horsepower i think its the pcm but i dont know anything about it. if anyone knows about it plz get back to me

Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Default Can the pcm be fixed?

I was wondering if there is a way to fix the pcm on my 99 monte carlo 3.8. Cut every thing works but it won't turn fans on at the temp. But the fans work.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by NIGHT-KID
I was wondering if there is a way to fix the pcm on my 99 monte carlo 3.8. Cut every thing works but it won't turn fans on at the temp. But the fans work.

Welcome to the forum.
Theres lots of Great People and Information here!

I noticed that in your profile, You have noted what/where your from.
There is a Gentleman here that does just that.. He can fix your fan problem in the PCM. His Name is Jason (Maniac).

Heres a link to his PCM repair/updateing
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...ghlight=Maniac

Hope this helps.... Maybe someone else will chime in with some other suggestions.

Pls feel free to fill out your profile and definitely post pics of your Monte!

Come join us in our Daily Blog and say hello.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:55 PM

when you turn your AC on do the fans turn on too? the stock pcm in the 98,99 are set to not have the fans turn on until 220-230 degrees. there is nothing wrong with your pcm it is functioning the way it was designed.

if you want them to turn on earlier, then you can have the pcm reprogrammed. but if you are not having cooling issues or doing mods to the engine, its not going to do much for you

Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 PM

5 Year Member

Me personally,
I had Jason (Maniac) reset my fan temps... So that would comeon a lot sooner as to avoid running higher temps and not taking the chance of having any heat issues.... That's just my preference.....

The main reason I had him reset them (They were all at zero) Is when I first purchased mine New in 1999 from the Factory (dealer ordered special) The fans would come on after I turned the key off and run for approximately a minute or so.... But I recently noticed... The fans no longer run after turning the motor off.... Because somehow the settings changed to 0.. meaning to not run after shut off.

Jason (maniac) reset those settings on my PCM so they once again operate normally. Admittedly I also had him adjust the fuel tables as well...
Since then My fuel mileage has increased significantly as well as the power band.
Oh 1 more thing I also had him raise the rev limiter so now instead of only capeable of going 103mph... I could do 250....LOL However my little 3.8 wasn't designed to run that fast ... But if it could...It would.

Thanks again Jason! You Da Man!!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:19 AM

Stumpi do you have a scan gauge? I am always wery about box tunes. No two cars are the same so you end up very rich or very lean most of the time. The is the rare chance being the middle of the three bears, but that is a rare occasion. The 98/99 PCM never was set to have the fans turn on at key off. You may have it confused with a different vehicle. PCM setting donor just change on their own. It would be like a $1 calculator all of a sudden showing txt. Also unless you swap gears and make big big big power 250 mph is not possible. We are talking veyron territory! 1000+ HP wind tunnel design...

I'm not trying to be a pest I just want people to have realistic expectations. Tuning even via box tune will unlock a much better feel to the car and if done correctly will make the drive train even safer. Improved gas mileage is very difficult to impossible to do safely via box tune. If someone were after better mpg they would need an in car tune.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM

5 Year Member
Talking

I hate to be the one to be the bearer of bad news. Yes my 1999 3.8 Z34. Did and does have the fans run after shut off. From the factory ...
No this wasn't/isn't a "box" tune.
This was done thru reprogramming with a laptop.
Jason (Maniac)
Downloaded my pcm programming to his Laptop
Readjusted the items I described, Then reloaded/uploaded it back into my PCM.
My Monte was built in 1998 as a true special order 1999. I also picked it up from the dealership in 1998. To be quite honest.. My Monte was the 1st 1999 purchased in Michigan.
A "box" isn't able to adjust the items I had Jason(Maniac) change in my PCM.
My MonteCarlo Z34 isn't your standard Monte.

PS:
I never said my Monte will go 250mph.
I merely had him raise/change the rev limiter settings as high as it could be set.
No way a "stock" 3.8 could run 250mph.
Yes, Mine is all stock. At least the motor is.

Quick Reply: What is a PCM?