Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

What luck.. tranny problems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:06 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What luck.. tranny problems.

Ok so I have now owned my 04 Supercharged SS for about 2 or 3 months. And just the past couple days, the transmission has been doing HORRIBLE!!

My car was serviced right before it started acting up. I had them flush the radiator, flush the transmission, change supercharger oil, change oil, new oil filter, to brake rotors and pads. Aaand I'm pretty sure they didn't change the supercharger oil, my brakes are STILL squeeky, and something is up with my transmission.

When the car automatically shifts from 1st to 2nd, it doesn't quite catch right away, letting the engine rev, and then when it does catch, the car jerks like a mother and my tires even squeel. I mean come on! I'm really starting to be a little angry with these mechanics... from a chevy dealer no less!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 AM

look into some lucas transmission oil, i know a few people that experienced rough shifting in their car and they put some of that in it and it worked out! let me how it does!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:24 AM

How many miles on your Monte now? Do you know if/when the tranny fluid was flushed before you got the car?

Before I got the exhaust work done on my car, I had stopped by a Meineke shop and told the guy that I had recently had my tranny fluid changed, though I had it done several thousand miles after what was recommended in the owner's manual. He told me that if the tranny fluid has never been changed at around 50,000 miles or so, it's sometimes better not to do it after that because flushing the fluid can loosen up sediment and stuff that's in there and cause problems with the tranny. Maybe that's what happened with your car?

Old 08-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by myfirstbowtie
How many miles on your Monte now? Do you know if/when the tranny fluid was flushed before you got the car?

Before I got the exhaust work done on my car, I had stopped by a Meineke shop and told the guy that I had recently had my tranny fluid changed, though I had it done several thousand miles after what was recommended in the owner's manual. He told me that if the tranny fluid has never been changed at around 50,000 miles or so, it's sometimes better not to do it after that because flushing the fluid can loosen up sediment and stuff that's in there and cause problems with the tranny. Maybe that's what happened with your car?
Exactly, sometimes flushing is not the way to go. Higher mileage/ extremely dirty trannies sometimes do better with just a fluid and filter change.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by LuSe4
Exactly, sometimes flushing is not the way to go. Higher mileage/ extremely dirty trannies sometimes do better with just a fluid and filter change.

I bought my 06 used and it is now at 65,000 miles and I'm not sure if anything has been done to it? My question is, should I just do a fluid and filter change only?.....

Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

i dont like flushing transmissions. seems like it causes more problems than it does good.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
I bought my 06 used and it is now at 65,000 miles and I'm not sure if anything has been done to it? My question is, should I just do a fluid and filter change only?.....
I changed mine on my '06 at 38,000. I did not flush, just a fluid drain and filter change. I was not comfortable doing a flush.

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
i dont like flushing transmissions. seems like it causes more problems than it does good.
Agreed!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:25 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by LuSe4
I changed mine on my '06 at 38,000. I did not flush, just a fluid drain and filter change. I was not comfortable doing a flush.

Agreed!
i just ordered the stuff to do a fluid drain, filter change, and shift kit install I am not sure if the person before me changed the fluid (fluid looks very clean on the dipstick tho) so i gotta get it done sometime soon.

I had a 2003 mc that i got the tranny flushed and not even 2 weeks later the valve body was messed up in it

Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
i just ordered the stuff to do a fluid drain, filter change, and shift kit install I am not sure if the person before me changed the fluid (fluid looks very clean on the dipstick tho) so i gotta get it done sometime soon.

I had a 2003 mc that i got the tranny flushed and not even 2 weeks later the valve body was messed up in it
How many miles are on yours? I just rolled 43,000 friday.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:13 AM
RED DEVIL

38000 miles...well maybe around 39000 now

Last edited by xxtheshockerxx; 08-14-2011 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply: What luck.. tranny problems.