Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/)
-   -   What is Gen3 M90 Worth? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-performance-adders-12/what-gen3-m90-worth-60130/)

bumpin96monte 09-04-2018 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2004DaleJr.SS (Post 713961)
I would need bigger injectors with a 3.0 pulley right? What size would I need, 42's?

Yes, but the size injector depends on what fuel you plan to run and what all mods you do. Injectors are pretty cheap anyways (at least compared to all the other mods you're looking at), so I'd just budget a few hundred bucks for them and pick the size you need when you firm up the rest of the list. Same with pulley size.

2004DaleJr.SS 09-05-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 713964)
Yes, but the size injector depends on what fuel you plan to run and what all mods you do. Injectors are pretty cheap anyways (at least compared to all the other mods you're looking at), so I'd just budget a few hundred bucks for them and pick the size you need when you firm up the rest of the list. Same with pulley size.

True...injectors aren't expensive. I'm liking the idea of modding the blower w/ a 3.0" pulley and adding a VS cam. It could make 300 whp if those mods which will be a blast. Thanks for your advice " bumpin96monte" appreciate it. And since i don't have to drive it all the time, i might look into a stall. something in the 2600 to 2800 range.

wht02monte 09-05-2018 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2004DaleJr.SS (Post 713969)
i might look into a stall. something in the 2600 to 2800 range.

Explain to me what this is, would you? I know WHAT it is, no idea how it works or the benefits of..

bumpin96monte 09-05-2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte (Post 713971)
Explain to me what this is, would you? I know WHAT it is, no idea how it works or the benefits of..

A looser converter lets the engine rev higher before fully engaging the transmission. Basically, it's a similar idea to someone with a manual launching at 4000 for a drag pass instead of say 2000 on a normal street takeoff. The engine makes more power up top (especially if you've done things like heads/cam to push the power band up higher), so you want to get into that power band as fast as possible.

The upside is (potentially) harder launches, assuming you can put the power down. It also tends to make the car feel more peppy when driving aggressively.

There are some downsides though:
-More converter slip means more heat in the trans fluid.
-You need to be able to put the power down as it is, or it'll just get harder to launch.
-If you go too far (or get a crappy converter) it can hurt street manners. Ideally you wouldn't hardly notice at all driving around town lightly. I've seen some converters (on other applications) that feel doggy and lazy down low as they're not setup to transfer power well down there.
-Can hurt gas mileage.
​​​​​