Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

6th Gen ('00-'05): What To Do Next For My Transmission

Old 08-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Thumbs down What To Do Next For My Transmission

Alright so I have a 2004 3.4 LS and with only 55k miles on it I am starting to get tranny issues . Less than 10k miles ago I did a tranny flush and it did not help the rough shifts or slipping in the slightest. It is completely random when it shifts extremely rough. sometimes on my commute it will be every up shift that it shifts rough usually not downshifts though. Also when backing out of a parking space (or my garage) then putting it into drive it is almost like the transmission takes a few seconds to decide that it wants to go into gear. Without spending thousands of dollars where do I go next with this. I do want to get this fixed because other than this the car is perfect. If any of you guys have had something comparable like this with your Monte what did you do/how was it solved?

Old 08-24-2016, 09:10 PM

IMO, you're not going to get out of this with a cheap fix.

A flush doesn't typically help these transmissions out and sometimes makes the issue worse on higher mileage.

You can take it to a transmission shop so they can properly diagnose it, but I'd start saving for a rebuild.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Honestly, I talked to a local mechanic and had an honest conversation with them. They have a working relationship with a local junkyard, and they were able to source and install a used transmission in my Monte for $500.

This was at 140,000 miles, and the transmission they installed had 75,000.

I'm currently still on that transmission, 197,000 miles, and I'm running a remote mount supercharger on the Monte.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:10 AM

What is a ball park for a rebuild? Or like Chibi suggested possibly getting a used trans would that guarantee that in the future (the car needs to last me another few years until college is done and I get a job) that I do not run into the same issue again?

Old 08-25-2016, 10:29 AM

15 Year Member

Chat with your local places that would do the rebuild.

Most likely they will be around $1800-$2600 depending on your shop.

Your best bet is knowing what shop would do either work, and just going in and having a conversation with them. Being polite and honest with a shop before the car is there, is one of the best things to do.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Chat with your local places that would do the rebuild.

Most likely they will be around $1800-$2600 depending on your shop.

Your best bet is knowing what shop would do either work, and just going in and having a conversation with them. Being polite and honest with a shop before the car is there, is one of the best things to do.
I guess the hardest part for me is spending that much money which would basically be all of my savings. I can only work so much being in college.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:17 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cownuv
I guess the hardest part for me is spending that much money which would basically be all of my savings. I can only work so much being in college.
Let them know. Talk to them, when they give you an estimate or a quote, explain that you can NOT go over that, so you would need that price guaranteed. Some shops will allow that, so that if there's an issue they suck it up.

Or they can call a few places and see if they can pull a junk yard trans for you. Either way, it's good to have the conversation before the car is on their lot.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Let them know. Talk to them, when they give you an estimate or a quote, explain that you can NOT go over that, so you would need that price guaranteed. Some shops will allow that, so that if there's an issue they suck it up.

Or they can call a few places and see if they can pull a junk yard trans for you. Either way, it's good to have the conversation before the car is on their lot.
Alright so I just took it to a "local" transmission place and they did a scan for codes. First code they got was a P0230 (Fuel Pump Control Circuit Problem) not sure why this came up maybe you guys have an idea. Also for the transmission I got a P1811 (Maximum Adapt & Long Shift). So obviously I need to get my transmission repaired and I am parking my car and burrowing a family members '14 Impala LTZ So for guys who have also gotten these codes what came next for you?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:48 AM

15 Year Member

Try this for a read: Harsh Shift, P1811

Search this Thread