Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

WHAT COLOR COOLANT ARE YOU RUNNING

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Default WHAT COLOR COOLANT ARE YOU RUNNING

mine is brown due to the gm tablets,im thinking i want to get it flushed and re-done but i dont know what color to use.i read some are good some are bad for your car or should i keep it as is, considering gm does know what they are doing.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Default RE: WHAT COLOR COOLANT ARE YOU RUNNING

Currently I still have the stock Dex-Cool flowing around in there. Next year I'll flush it all out and replace it with Prestone like I usually do when my cars get to be 5 years old.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:13 AM

Hi `Jeff, & Members,
Below is the information that's I've found
[:-]
[align=center]Antifreeze comes in various colors depending on the manufacturer. However, there are basically two types: extended life antifreeze and standard (traditional) antifreeze. Both standard antifreeze (usuallny green) and extended life antifreeze (commonly orange or red) are ethylene glycol based, their differences exist in the rust inhibitors and additives. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Since car manufacturers use different types and colors, always check your owner’s manual for the specific type of antifreeze in your vehicle before adding. When adding antifreeze, make a solution of 50% distilled water to 50% antifreeze. And remember, ethylene glycol based antifreeze is toxic to humans and animals – dispose of it properly.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Test the antifreeze in the fall and in the spring. Antifreeze protects against the coolant freezing when cold and boiling over when hot. Most car manufacturers require a mixture of 50% distilled water to 50% antifreeze. [/align][align=center]Use an antifreeze hydrometer to test the freeze and boil levels. Antifreeze mixed at 50/50 will have a freeze protection to –34 degrees Fahrenheit and a boil protection up to 265 degrees Fahrenheit. When testing the antifreeze, do not open a hot radiator cap. Severe burns could result. If you have to add antifreeze check in your owner’s manual to make sure you are adding the correct type[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck, and stay COOL : )[/align]

Old 11-30-2007, 11:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

DexCool

Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dex-cool on the Intimidator and Silverado, but green Prestone in the Olds Regency.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

My Cadillac forum always recomended any form of coolant.

But remember: Once you go green, you can't go back!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Dex Cool orange.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 PM

I changed over. I am now doing Prestone Yellow. Very happy with the results.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Why is it that you cant go back once you go green?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

if your changing fluids you have to have the system completely flushed by a shop if your changing color's, i know a lot of peole changing from red to green, i've never heard of anyone wanting to go from green to red, the green is a lot safer on your gaskets and seals and everything...and its a lot cheaper too

Quick Reply: WHAT COLOR COOLANT ARE YOU RUNNING