Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

upgrades

Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Default upgrades

I got some money saved up and I was thinking about doing the HV3 insert and the 1.9 rockers. I have a 01 mc ss, I'm going to stick N/a as i want to keep my car reliable. Now would the 1.9 modified rockers be okay for my set up or would I get more hp with the 1.8? Also is there any other mods that i can do while I'm doing those? I just dont want to keep takin off parts on the car and then putting them back on. Last question, will my valve springs hold up to zzps 1.0 pcm shift points? or will i need to upgrade those too? thnx guys

Old 06-11-2009, 09:21 PM

if you are going to do the rockers i would say just do the valve springs at the same time just in case.

as for the 1.8 vs the 1.9 i would just email ZZP the are normally really good with heloing you out with what will work best for you.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:24 AM

You'll be fine using stock springs with the modified stock rockers (get the ER ratio rockers for N/A cars...or 1.9's if you really want to, but you'll make more power N/A with the ER rockers).
ZZP's shift points aren't that high with their 1.0 PCM. They mostly change the line pressures and the shift times, which don't affect the valves.

Note that if you do upgrade to an aftermarket valve spring, you are going to be sacrificing reliability more than any of the other mods you have mentioned.
(High rate springs either eat timing chains, or have a habit of the springs breaking in half lately).

Other mods you could do would be to open up either the intake before the TB, and open up the exhaust a bit (plog/pem and downpipe).

-Riggs.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 AM

here's a rocker arm dyno and spring recomendation

http://www.easyperformance.com/Tech_..._Frameset.html

Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My next Modifications are going to be the ER Ratio + HV3 + a custom tune.

Is it possible that you can get someone to tune the car for you? Usually cheaper and 100000x better.

Quick question for you also, have you gotten around to doing the U-bend delete, or installing a ZZP Downpipe? I would do that with the above suggestion or I would start with that first. You don't want to be using more air and not being able to exhaust it well :P

Also take a look at the front powerlog, or just look into getting a set of headers instead of the powerlog / downpipe.

OOO OOO and then there's the CAI to do also :P

Basically what I'm saying is, what have you already done to the car? haha

Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by biggriggs
Note that if you do upgrade to an aftermarket valve spring, you are going to be sacrificing reliability more than any of the other mods you have mentioned.

x2, if you really are that concerned about reliability, forget the springs completely. I'd do top swap before I'd do anything that required high rate valve springs if reliability was your main concern.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep

Is it possible that you can get someone to tune the car for you? Usually cheaper and 100000x better.
To be honesty with you, I have no idea if their is one near by, I live in central california in Merced. Do we have any members from central cali on mcforum that can maybe help with that.

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep

Quick question for you also, have you gotten around to doing the U-bend delete, or installing a ZZP Downpipe? I would do that with the above suggestion or I would start with that first. You don't want to be using more air and not being able to exhaust it well :P

Also take a look at the front powerlog, or just look into getting a set of headers instead of the powerlog / downpipe.

OOO OOO and then there's the CAI to do also :P

Basically what I'm saying is, what have you already done to the car? haha
lol.. excited huh, I felt the same way when i got the car haha. Well i have a cold air intake that i made from parts from pepboys, the spectre tubing kind, and a home made heat shield.(not very good headshield but it does the job). I also have a 180 tstat, ubend and resonator delete, Flow master muffler, and an electric exhaust cut out right before the cat.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 PM

What is the PEM? i know the plog is the power log, is the Pem the exhast manifold from the back?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM

PEM = ported exhaust manifold.

You can buy (or do it yourself) ported manifolds for both the front and rear, but the powerlog is a much better bet than a front pem due to the poor design of the stock front manifold.
The rear manifold is a much better design, and porting seems to work well for most people.

For both parts and tuning, check out clubgp (clubgp.com/newforum).
It's a much bigger and more active forum than MCF, and their classified section is generally pretty good (you'll save yourself a TON of cash versus buying most stuff new).
There are also many more people on there that tune, and I'm sure you can find someone in central cali if you ask around.
There is a regional section on there, which would be a good place to start for that.
-Riggs.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 AM

If you were looking for a custom local tune, I'd search clubgp, 3800pro, gmv6pcm (the DHP PT site), and hptuners (the HPT site). Make sure you find someone who has some sort of proof such as before/after dyno graphs or something similar from a previous tune, and at least one or two people that will vouch for the quality of their work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: upgrades