Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

twins

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Default twins

has anyone seen or heard about twin charging a 3800 series ll, supercharged with a turbo??? i wanna do it and other than space i don't see it being a big problem

Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think I seen a picture of one in the process of being done, not sure if it was ever completed...

It would take a bit of money, lotsa fabrication, and another car to drive around in while your car is down...and judgeing from this statement:

i wanna do it and other than space i don't see it being a big problem
You have a lot of research to do.

Joe

Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Pretty common thing. Turbo charging a supercharged car doesnt involve anymore then turbocharging an NA car, but dont quote me on that.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I remember an oldsmobile cutlass that has a twin charged 3800. I dont know if its 100% complete or not. Seemed to me like something that wouldnt be a good DD and would take up alot of time to build and work the bugs out of.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF2h9XyfCSA

heres that cutlass, theres more vids on his page too

Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM

There are a few twin charged 3800's around.
It's not exactly efficient anymore, as turbo lag isn't an issue with newer turbos.

One of ZZP's turbo kits has a twin charge setup option, assuming you're starting with an L67 engine.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:46 AM

Tuning has got to be a pita! I've heard of a S/C being turbo'ed but the S/C gets blocked off. You may be better of with a twin turbo, but it wouldn't be very efficient unless you go with small turbo units. But regardless of the setup, you would need a lot of tuning going twin turbo.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:29 AM

well trewyn that is a first for me i have seen rear wheel drive with both super charged and turbo because being rear wheel set up gave it a little more room to fabrcate. not front wheel drive i had to see it thank you for that post i wasent sure it was even possible on front wheel drive have them both it is truely uniqu to be honest

Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM

Its been done on GP's- I bet there are at least 4 or 5 even now (excluding that cutty).

IMO, do one or the other. If you want a budget build- and aren't looking to make crazy big power- stick with the M90.

If you want more power- do a turbo kit. You want really big power? Do ported heads, a big stattama turbo cam, the big stattama turbo kit, and a big IC. That's already been proven to make way more power than you could possibly hook on the streets- and makes a car that can do easy 10's with a proper setup at the strip.

So my thing about twin charging- what is the benefit? Some people say it will make more power- but IMO, who cares? Its not like you can get a big turbo setup to hook on the streets anyways as is- and ZZP has already more than proven that 9's and 8's in the 1/4 are possible with a single turbo setup if you do sufficient chassis modification. It gets to the point with these turbo setups where making enough power isn't the problem- its the suspension, chassis, and tires that make you have to pedal the car.

The other benefit I hear a lot is for 'instant boost'. The problem with this- lets go back to the street- if you can't hook as the turbo rolls into full boost- how are you going to hook with more instant boost out of the hole? At the strip- its a similar situation- the stock body is limited as to how wide of a slick you can run- so you're always going to have a launch power cap based on weight and tire size. Not to mention, these transmissions are more than notorious for not liking big power- hence why multiple big turbo guys have demodded- no traction, and transmission problems. Launching even harder certainly isn't going to help that end.

IMO, if you already had a turbo setup- went too big on the turbo, and didn't get a BB option, or got a cheap turbo that is slow to spool- then IMO stick nitrous on it. Even a 50-100 shot will be more than enough to get you out of the hole (again, assuming you can hook it) and up into your power band.

Another option if you don't like that- the GM racing 4t65's from their ecotec drag cars were modified to use a transbrake. ZZP also had a vid of a GP supposedly revving on a transbrake. Mod your trans to use a transbrake, set up a 2 step with an add on MSD box and go. Then you can pull up to the line- floor it, and have it stop at 3500, 4000, whatever- then just release your transbrake and go (and cross your fingers for your input shaft, axles, and chain, lol).

Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 PM

i've seen it done on cobalts, grand prix's, cutlass', and theres even an MC out there in youtube land (7th gen i think) and about the takin a while to do wouldn't be a problem, cost really isn't either, the fabrication wouldn't really be a big deal either, i'm in school for collision repair and high performance fabrication and i've got 10-15 thousand $ worth of plans for that 04 SS, if it takes me 3 years to finish i'm gonna put one of the most customized all original appearing 6th gen u've even seen, i'm just shareing ideas