Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Turns over but wont start. And has spark and fuel.... ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Turns over but wont start. And has spark and fuel.... ?

Won't start. I have fuel pressure spark and the engine cranks. Car is at a shop as I broke down on way to my honeymoon.

Had spare PCM no change
Engine cranks over
Has 40+ psi fuel pressure
Injector test light blinks during cranking
Spark boots will spark to ground so I know it is sparking
Fuses are good
Timing belt turns and still looks good

The car was running fine. No signs until I started to go from a traffic light. At first the car hesitated like it was the tranny slipping I thought ... Then I noticed it wasn't the trany as toms were falling. And kept falling till the engine died.
only thing I can think is I had gotten 8 gallons of gas to fill my tank about 15-20 min before. Any ideas?

Old 10-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Update... mechanic called me saying he saw some dust in the timing belt and thinks it could have jumped timing... wants to change the timing belt... but said since i put an under drive pulley on it he doesn't have the timing marks to do the belt change.

i asked him to check the crank and cam sensors and get me an estimate for the belt change... he said the engine has compression. im about 2 hours away so i cant look at it... im assuming he pulled the plugs when he did the compression check and would have looked at those too... just doesnt seem like a physical timing issue... more like a spark timing issue to me.

my opinion on it right now... i don't want to spend the money on a timing belt job and find out it still wont start. or risk it being timed wrong and then do damage to the engine. if it isnt something like a sensor i will just have to pay to have it towed. and if it is needing a Timing belt or there is damage inside the engine then i wont have much choice but an engine swap....

Old 10-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

now when they or you tested the injectors did you test all or just some?

my brother had a gp with the dohc motor and it just died one day, pump was working, had spark ect, he ruled out the injectors (just tested the fronts,) and kept dumping money into it trying to find it, he had the uim off so i tested all the injectors with a multimeter to see what resistance they all had , one of the rears where bad which in turn causes the whole bank to turn off ,

i thought i made a wright up on it i'll dig around and see

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM

I had a similar problem with my 91 lumina, turned out to be the vacuum on the fuel rail , engine was 3.1

Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 AM

I just saw a test light on #6 injector plug. At this point I'm gonna have it towed home the 2-3 hours. And work on it myself as the shop seems set on doing a timing belt. And I'm not putting $1000+ into an engine with 224,000+ miles and weak trany. If it's not a simple fix I can do, it's engine swap time

Old 03-08-2014, 03:06 PM
Default Same problem

i know there has not been a reply in a while but i am having the same problem with my monte and wanted to ask did you figure out what it was

Thank you
Samuel

Old 03-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Default Get some ODB2 Codes

See if you can have him read your PCM and see it is throwing any codes, That is a good place to start...
Like the others have said... Fuel supply... Spark... Compression. those three make ignition.
Check out your MAP sensor (on the 3400 it connects to the fuel pressure reg and can mess some fuel supply stuff up if it or the PCV valve is bad)

Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Look at the date of the thread.

It's super old.

He swapped the motor.