Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Default Tune up

How hard is it to change the spark plugs on a monte with transverse motor. the rears look difficult? what's the typical process?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 PM

Remove the 2 front mounts, attach the ratchet strap to the front of the engine and pull it towards the front of the car with the strap. Presto, you have room to remove the rear plugs.

The strap is similar to this one:
Tune up-18490_full.jpg

Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply, I don't want to sound stupid, but how does that work with the exhaust system? or do you just pull far enuf to get to the plugs? Wont the exhaust get in the way? thx, Jeff

Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You don't need the ratchet strap if you don't want to use it. I undo the mounts (dog-bones) and then you just open your driver side door, put one foot on the e-brake and rock the car until the engine moves forward then step on the e-brake and you'll have tons of room to work on the engine.

There is tons of play with this, you aren't going to harm anything, it all is made to move like that.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM

I use the strap because it's easier for me, and I can't rock the car due to a disability, so the engine moves forward and I stay in one piece, pain free! Like Chibi stated, the piping is sort of designed to have a certain amount of room for movement.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Personally, I just leave the engine the way it sits and change them like that. It's not really hard to do. I usually just figure in the time it'll take to unbolt the mounts, rock the car and then bolt up the mounts at the end, the rear plugs could be changed already.

The hardest part if you haven't changed the plugs before will be getting the wires off of them. The first time I did mine it took like two hours trying to wrestle the plug wires off.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Thankyou for all who responded, that is truly a GREAT help !

Old 12-05-2009, 04:32 PM

You can use the parking brake trick, but the ratchet strap will give you tons more room.

Wouldn't worry about the exhaust, you're not actually moving the exhaust that much, and the exhaust is made to be able to move a little bit (it's hanging under the car on rubber hangers).

The first time you change the plugs it can be frustrating (they seem to be glued in from the factory), but it doesn't really require that much room all in all.
Once you're used to changing the plugs and they have already been loosened up, it's a breeze and pretty easy to do without even rocking the engine forward at all.

-Riggs.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You don't need the ratchet strap if you don't want to use it. I undo the mounts (dog-bones) and then you just open your driver side door, put one foot on the e-brake and rock the car until the engine moves forward then step on the e-brake and you'll have tons of room to work on the engine.

There is tons of play with this, you aren't going to harm anything, it all is made to move like that.

CHI would this same procedure work on my 06 SS?

What do you do to get the engine back to it' Original position to get the mount back on?

Last edited by Tadcaster; 09-28-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM

i did a write up for the 7th ls-ltz type i think it is the same way but not sure for the ssllafup1 is yours the 6th or 7th???

Quick Reply: Tune up