Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Triple Alternator setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Triple Alternator setup

Ok I had a previous thread for dual alternators for my 2000 Monte carlo SS 3.8L, but ended up removing the OEM alternator and installing three 390 amp alternators. I bought them from DC Engineering (DC Alternators). My new alternator belt length is 108"

Modifications I made were cutting and welding the passenger side engine mount, putting on longer spark plug wires, moving the park plug junction piece an inch rearward, and moving the wire harness crossing the engine to fuse box. Luckily I didn't have to cut or extend any OEM wiring. I made an adapter extension plug for the alternator with Delphi/Packard 150 female plug kit.

Since my car is going to have 9 batteries in the trunk, I have to remove the front battery to prevent stereo from pulling lots of juice from the front. I ran 1/0 AWG power and ground from rear batteries to my starter, then from there to my old battery location. I ran 4/0 AWG, not 4 AWG power and ground from each alternator to the battery busbar. I only have one problem. After buying a new hood because I didn't want to cut into my factory hood, I need to find a metal hood scoop. I like the look of a marine cowl, but they are too small like around 5-6 inches. One of my alternators stick past the top of the hood 2 1/4" I need a metal scoop around the size 3" x 8" x 17". I thought about buying two hood scoops and cutting them in half to get the 13" width and cut off the length, but that may look imperfect, especially if I wanted a second scoop for the driver side just for looks. I need it steel to weld and waterproof it. I may end up putting a dome on the alternator to cover it, but cannot find that unless I go to a junk yard and try to find a Dodge Neon with the scoop and cut it out. Anyone have any ideas on where to find the size I need. I tried google and could only find the 28" x 50" steel hoods scoops, which are the price of my new hood.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is pretty neat! I've never heard of anyone doing this, so congrats on that! I haven't a scoop solution for you, but you've done a fantastic job so far and I know you'll work it out...

Old 08-20-2011, 11:58 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Wow thats crazy & pretty creative

Old 08-22-2011, 11:44 AM

This is friggin sweet, yo. I hope it looks nice with the hump on the hood. I'm excited about this one... Keep us posted!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Wow this is extreme. Nice work. It's good to see people on here get under the hood and do some mod work.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 PM

wow, wtf are you running off 9 batteries?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

What are you running. If I remember from what you said before I think its way way overkill with lots of waisted money. Unless your running 6+ 18s (FI or RE), its no need to have all that.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:00 PM

looks crazy. sucks it sticks out of the hood like that. i dont think there is room in these cars for 6 18s and 9 battery's plus amps..

Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 AM

i would make a pyramid on top and just cut the point... so like an Inca sacrificial plateau!! lol put a Lightning bolt in the center of it!

not sure how high it sticks thru, but i would say try to make it out of clear acrylic or glass so that you can see it. i take it with all this work this is not a DD and it is set for audio shows and comp.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 AM

I couldn't find any hood scoops that were steel so I have to come up with something. If this doesn't look good after it's welded and painted, i may remove it and use rod iron to build a skeleton, then spot weld three pieces to made it more aerodynamic.

Quick Reply: Triple Alternator setup