Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Treatments: good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Treatments: good or bad?

Just curious about a few things. Im dealing with some lost compression and some lack from the trans. So right after my most recent oil change i put in a quart of engine restore to "help aid and somewhat repair lost compression". Then for the trans i siphoned enough of the fluid out in order to put Lucas trans treatment in. And then just to top everything of i figured why not just fill her up and put a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment in as well. Now my question is.. Do these treatments i put in actually help at all? Or do they end up causing more harm than good? I know of a good trans shop, but the past two times my trans was doing its thing (rough shifts and a few hesitations off of stops) I went up there grabbed the tech. As we are taking it for a test drive, its running like a champ. Because he said "without seeing first hand what its doing i cant do anything short of ripping the whole trans out and check each individual part". That would be pricey i think. Has anyone else had this same trans issue? Because just a quart of trans treatment will not remedy anything, even though its Lucas brand.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Miracles in a bottle don't work. If your trans is starting to slip, you check the fluid. If the fluid looks fine, then you are probably going to be dealing with transmission issues (which is no surprise looking at your rims and other added weight to the car)

If it's been a while since you did a transmission fluid change, drop the filter and put in a few quarts with a new filter.

If you want to use some cleaner, the only one I'll recommend is a can of Seafoam in your gas tank and half a can run through the brake booster. But normal driving, changing your fluids properly, etc. etc. will be the best way to keep the motor up and running for a long time. Just look at my car and mileage.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:14 PM

x2. How do you know compression is low- did you run a compression test? A can of goop can't put material back on your piston rings or cylinder walls.

Same with the trans, if its slipping or having problems- a can of goop usually won't fix that permanently either.

For the fuel treatment stuff- that's your call, some say it helps clean the injectors and also the intake valves, but who knows how effective it really is outside of their extreme claims.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
x2. How do you know compression is low- did you run a compression test?
well im exactly sure its compression or not but when i do get on the gas (even with the stock rims & tires) the power just is not there. its not super charged so i know it wont be a race car by any means. but definate lack of power u can feel (or not feel)

Old 03-27-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by matt210
well im exactly sure its compression or not but when i do get on the gas (even with the stock rims & tires) the power just is not there. its not super charged so i know it wont be a race car by any means. but definate lack of power u can feel (or not feel)
Well unless you have REALLY high mileage- I doubt you have low compression due to worn rings, cylinders, or valve seats. If you are down on power- you really should actually test the car to see what is wrong (compression test if that is what you think it is)- borrow an obd2 scan tool, change filters, etc.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Its possible your lack of power is coming from many things other than loss of compression. You could have a sensor going bad (such as the MAF, knock sensor, crank sensor, etc.) that is causing the car to be more slugish than usual. Or as bumpin mentioned, filters...when is the last time you changed your air filter?

As mentioned before, no oil treatment is going to fix your transmission, if its on its way out, it will continue to go down hill. I recommend you drop the pan, change the filter, and fill it back up. This will get you 7.5 new quarts of tranny fluid, and a new filter. This MIGHT help your transmission.

Oil and tranny additives as a whole should not be used, change your fluids often, and thats all you need to do. It flat out says "DO NOT USE ANY ADDITIVES" in the owners manual.

As far as gas additives, I occasionally put some fuel injector cleaner in my car, but honestly, have never noticed a difference from a fuel additive. But I don't think they will hurt anything if used on occasion.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I usually run a can of seafoam in my gas tank when they do the switch from winter gas to summer gas, it helps with some moisture and such.

Do you have the stock catalytic converter on your car? Sluggish on the gas and not shifting very well are both signs of a bad cat.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 AM

also a tune up also when the plugs were out you lack power also it wont shift as good when it had lower miles. if it still laks power and shifts hard i would say the cat is going bad when the tune up is done. 1 change all oil's and change the plugs 2 test drive 3 if it shifts horribly it is the cat replace it if it still does it you have eleminated every thing. leading to the loss of power and things that also cause bad shifting in an automatic.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 PM

i used to use seafoam and that soes preform miracles. lol it is great stuff though.

the tech guy and the mechanic i talked to the last time i went to the dealer recomended to use chevron techron ever other oil change. it is supposibly the only brand prven to keep and help clean the fuel injectors.

idk if it actually helps, but it makes the old "butt dyno" feel nice for a tank. GL and use your own discretion.

as for oil. brake, powersteering additives, my dad swears by lucas bros. it is nothing more then like 20w50 that makes your oil thicker. im pretty sure.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:23 AM

it is nothing more then like 20w50 that makes your oil thicker. im pretty sure.
If you wanted to run thicker oil, why not just do it straight up, instead of adding an additive?

Quick Reply: Treatments: good or bad?