Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission Slow to Shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Transmission Slow to Shift

2004 MC SS, 108k.
Naturally aspirated.

My transmission has recently been taking longer to shift between gears. It's more pronounced from first to second, but it will do it on the others. If I slowly accelerate out of first, when it goes to shift it just seems like there's a lag, it's kind of hard to describe. Also, when stopped at a light, if I kind of get on it when it first accelerates it will make a clunking noise right when I put the gas down....but if I let it roll away from the line in idle then accelerate, it's fine.

Possibly related, for a while I had leaky transmission cooler lines. The leak seems to have taken care of itself and I never let the fluid level drop below a recommended level. I know I need to change the lines, but for now it's stopped itself and I don't have the time.

I don't understand automatics as well as I do manuals, any thoughts?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would take care of the lines..

Have you checked your cat?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Any leak will cause a loss of pressure

Check your fluid

Could also be the pressure control solenoid in the tranny failing

Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Sounds like your transmission fluid got hot. Especially if the cooler lines were broken.

This will cause the solenoids to go bad, as heat is the worst for transmissions.

I would say the solenoids are shot, you can TRY to drop the filter and put some new dexron 6 in there, but I think you are too late. Might need to replace the solenoids.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member

The cooler lines never leaked more than a drop or two after sitting an entire day, but I suppose a leak is a leak.

Replacing cooler lines involves draining all the fluid anyway, correct? So if I do those, I might as well do the filter?

Regarding solenoids, I take it those are not a DIY job?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:32 PM

15 Year Member

Depends on how DIY you are.

Look around and see if it is something you can accomplish, most likely, no. It's not.

tripleedgeperformance.com has good reads about our tranmissions

Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member

Chibi, thanks for the site, there's good info on there.

When I read other people's posts, they propose ideas then never seem to come back to them and finish whether something was successful or not.

To that end, is it possible to plug a fresh supply of ATF into the filter then perform a flush whereby you just run the vehicle in idle until your torque converter pushes out new fluid from your fresh supply?

I'll be doing a pan drop (w/ filter) and changing the fittings and hoses on Friday, but as I read more about flushes, it seems like the above would be the best way to do it, if manageable.

If that's not feasible, is it recommended I do another drop and flush in a couple weeks to try to get out some of the remaining 5 qts that resides in the converter and is not accessible during a pan drop?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM

15 Year Member

It's not recommended to hook the car up and do a full flush like that, because sometimes that "crud" is actually holding parts together for you.

If you are already slipping, a full flush could make it WORSE. But getting half of the fluid out and replacing does help. As you know, it could only be a temporary fix.

You could definitely do another drop and fill in a couple weeks.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member

Your flush comment seems to make sense. I didn't want to do a forced flush, I suppose I envisioned that the system would just let the new fluid work it's way all the way through.

I've read I'll need around 7 or 8 qts of fluid after the drop. Since I'll be taking off the hoses, will be I be losing what's in the radiator? I guess I don't know if there's a cavity in the radiator for fluid of if there's just a single internal pipe that gets cooled.

Thanks for all the input, I tend to walk my mind through the entire job before I start to think of questions I'll probably have once I start.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:04 PM

15 Year Member

I don't know if the cooler line will spill coolant or not.

When was the last time you flushed your coolant? It might be a good time to do that, especially with the warmer weather coming up

Quick Reply: Transmission Slow to Shift