Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission, Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
1 Year Member
Default Transmission, Question.

I took a look under my car and there's this gasket towards the front of the car on the transmission that is comprised of a metal line, surrounded by a rubber gasket that seems to be leaky. I was told that it wouldn't cost much more than 125 to replace if I had it done, but I was wondering what exactly this part was and what it's called, I may provide pictures later but any ideas as soon as possible would be good. If I do go in to get it done I don't want any shop to have to "put it up on a rack" just to get me a price, you know. If it helps, there's also another identical metal line with the same gasket that isn't leaking in close proximity of the one that is.

Thanks for anyyyy help guys.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM
1 Year Member

Also, would a mod be willing to move this? My fault on the thread placement.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Moved it for you, hopefully it gets some good responses and you can get those pictures up

Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think your talking about the transmission cooling lines. One is the exit line (send fluid to the cooler) and the other is the return line (sends the cooled fluid back to the tranny).

I had to have the return line on my Monte replaced (under warranty) because it was leaking a drop every once in a while, nothing huge, but it was free to get replaced, so I did.

My mom's Bonneville with the same tranny also had one of the lines leaking. My dad repleced the entire line himself. I think its just a matter of unscrewing the correct line from the radiator, and unscrewing the other end from the transmission. Then take out the old line (taking good note of where the line runs) and run the new line in the same spot, the screw in each end of the line, and you should be up and running again.

I honestly don't remember the price for the part, but I know my dad bought it at the dealer. I want to say it was around $50.00 bucks.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:24 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the response Mamonte I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is.. that is sort of a relief that it's a minor repair.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM

10 Year Member

No problem. Yea, thats what it sounds like to me.

Don't forget to keep an eye on your tranny fluid level since its leaking!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:45 AM

15 Year Member

And remember when you check the transmission fluid to do it while the car is warm. And if you need to add any, it goes right into the same tube the dipstick came out of (time to invest in a narrow funnel if you don't have one)

Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
And remember when you check the transmission fluid to do it while the car is warm. And if you need to add any, it goes right into the same tube the dipstick came out of (time to invest in a narrow funnel if you don't have one)

Warm and RUNNING, while in park...

Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 AM

15 Year Member

with the e-brake engaged!!!! (extra safety?)

I knew it was running... why I didn't write it... idk haha

Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 AM

10 Year Member

I know you knew that, but I just had to make sure we got the story straight so member: East can check properly!

Quick Reply: Transmission, Question.