Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission Noise, Normal or bad?

Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Transmission Noise, Normal or bad?

We recently got the transmission in our monte rebuilt and since then, it runs great. Shifts fine, doesn't have that loud bearing noise anymore. But I do still hear a whine. I think it's the pump though. The transmission shop said that you should hear the pump and torque converter some while you're driving, but it seems a bit loud for that. I listen to my friend's impala (same engine/transmission) and I don't really hear anything at all. It's like a buzzing noise while at idle, and it gets louder with the RPM. It's nothing like it used to be, but considering we just put out so much money into getting it fixed, it shouldn't be making any noise, right?

P.S. We have tried to see if it was coming from anything on the belt track, so we took the belt off and we still heard it.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's not good if your transmission's whining. And I don't know what "pump" the transmission shop's talking about. If it is truly your transmission, and not your alternator whining, then you have an issue with your transmission and that's not good for business, if you know what I mean.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks, that's all I needed to know lol. We still have a warranty over it, just gotta talk them into doing it now >.>

Old 10-24-2010, 12:11 PM

becarefull on driving it the trans shop will say abuse if it fails and void the warrenty and if they refuse to tear it open to replase the pump find anouther shop to do the work and see if they will bill the shop for the work that they did. imo i will go to anouther shop to see what they say and see if they can bill the other shop for the work that needs to be done.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
It's not good if your transmission's whining. And I don't know what "pump" the transmission shop's talking about. If it is truly your transmission, and not your alternator whining, then you have an issue with your transmission and that's not good for business, if you know what I mean.
Do you know anything about automatic transmissions? The pump is the main component. It supplies the flow and the pressure of fluid for the transmission to operate. But to answet the OP, you should not be hearing anything. The pump make a whine at 5000 rpm and above in my LS, but under normal conditions, the transmission should be quiet.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
Do you know anything about automatic transmissions? The pump is the main component. It supplies the flow and the pressure of fluid for the transmission to operate. But to answet the OP, you should not be hearing anything. The pump make a whine at 5000 rpm and above in my LS, but under normal conditions, the transmission should be quiet.
Not really, I know there's a torque converter and clutches. I do, however, know that it isn't supposed to whine. Thanks for your input!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 PM

There shouldn't be any whining at all coming from the tranny. Take it back and have the shop check it out. If the pump wasn't replaced with a new one, it could be the culprit. The old pump can fail due to the increase pressure from all the new clutch assemblies. But it could be anything, from a faulty pump to a TC that wasn't inserted all the way into the trans.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 PM

Alright, thanks guys I'll have it checked out again. I'll try and keep this updated for anyone that's interested lol

Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Kozentaru
Alright, thanks guys I'll have it checked out again. I'll try and keep this updated for anyone that's interested lol
please do, im kinda interested to see what happens.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Unhappy 2001 ss 3.8l

Hi, I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS I bought new. About 4 years at about 45K miles the transmission started to whine, and is louder when I turn corners.
Had the tranny flushed at 50, mechanics they said they found nothing wrong.

Here it is 2011. I have 95K miles on it, still whines the same.

Could the pump have come loose? <Hope not!>
What else could this whine be from?

Thanks!
Phondo2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Noise, Normal or bad?