Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Transmission differences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:31 AM
1 Year Member
Default Transmission differences?

First off happy new years! Now my question is that my father and i both have the same monte carlo's both 2003 and both N/A. My question is that ive driven both cars and his car has a firmer gas pedal than mine and secon when im cruising (for example at 2000 rpm) and i give it gas the rpm jumps up a little then right back to 2k. It goes a bit faster but not much until i really get on it. My fathers however even when im cruising at the same speed and give it gas the rpm goes up and stays up and the car accelerates more. Why are those 2 things different on our cars?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

First question is, are you sure they are the same car? Are they LS or SS? Hoe close are they in mileage? Are they on the same maintenance schedule? Lastly, where they manufacture in the same part of the year? I know there are some differences between the 02 and 03 SS. I think there where some differences in the trans.
Try getting a hold of The_Maniac or CHIBIBLACKSHEEP! They both have access to GM Shop Manuel's!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 PM
1 Year Member

Both cars are SS. About 5k mile difference between mine and his. Im not sire about the production sate. Where can i find that on my car?

Old 01-01-2014, 01:41 PM

i do know that some of the transmissions in the 02 had 3.29 ratio while others had the 3.05...best thing to do is to get the VIN off of both cars and call the stearlership to find out the transmissions...there is also a placard on the transmissions to find out which tranny is in the car...

Last edited by djhixter; 01-01-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Your vin will tell ya. Im thinking different maintnance history.
Originally Posted by ecosta221
Both cars are SS. About 5k mile difference between mine and his. Im not sire about the production sate. Where can i find that on my car?

Old 01-01-2014, 02:06 PM

on the drivers door jam should be a placard with the month and year the car was assembled, along with tire psi, tire size, weight, etc

Old 01-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK, the Supercharged SS has the 4T65eHD with the 3.05 final output gear ratio. The N\A SS has the 4T65e trans with the 3.29 final output gear ratio. If there is a difference in your 2 SS's from the manufacturer, it more than likely is only how they are electricly connected to the computer.
When was the last time your trans was serviced, (fluid and filter changed)?
Honestly there could be many reasons you car doesn't perform the same as your father's. From differences in Driving styles compared to having the same maintainamce schedules, to signs of one trans wearing faster than the other. And a Multitude of things in between. You're not getting any codes on the CEL are you? If not, your PCM is nit being any problems. Are there any reliable trans shops in your area. Have them hook up your car to a TechII scanner. It can read your trans.
I say, do a trans service and go from there.

Last edited by JC Colon; 01-01-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I looked in the shop book for the RPO codes on the 2003. Here what I found regarding the trans:
FQ3 Ratio, Transaxle Final Drive, 2.86
FR9 Ratio, Transaxle Final Drive, 3.29
F83 Ratio, Transaxle Final Drive, 3.05

Check the RPO codes on the two cars, see which one you have. The RPO codes can be found in a couple of spots. The easiest, pop the trunk and there should be a sticker on the inside of the trunk lid (it will also have the car's VIN). Mine for example is a '04 SS with FR9.

Now, what I find interesting, GM had only two engine options on the '03 (3400 and L36 3800). I wonder why three transmission options.

Anycase, you can check that as one source.

I assume you both are not the original owners? If that is the case, perhaps one car had the PCM re-tuned.

Or even if they are both 100% stock, 100% factory, when the factory programmed the PCMs, they MIGHT have different settings on them causing this effect.

It can also be driving style, engine temp, ambient temp and a host of other things that cause the cars to behave in these manners.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 PM
1 Year Member

No both cars are now with us owning them 2 owners. Neither of our cars have any codes present. I changed my filter and fluid about 7k miles ago my fathers hasnt been changed since the previous owner (which is his boss) so he knows the car was well taken care of. Our cars have the placard in the trunk so i will check them in the morning. Thank you all for you input and thank you The_Maniac for the RPO codes! I think the pedal stiffness is just an awkward occasion but the transmission might be a different ratio. Now i have a simple question. I havent gone through my transmissions class at school so whats the differences between the 3 gear ratios in these cars?

Old 01-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hope someone else can chime in on this. Gear ratios are not my high point.

BTW - If it appears it's a PCM related issue (not an RPO code), I might be able to assist with that if both PCM. I offer some basic PCM services (link below):
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/

PM me if you're interest and we can discuss further.

Quick Reply: Transmission differences?