Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Trans help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM
1 Year Member
Default Trans help needed

Hey everyone, so I just got my 2006 Monte Carlo SS 5.3L about 2 months ago. It just passed over 57,000 miles the other day and I'm pretty sure it needs a swap in trans fluid. Becuase mine is starting to smell a tad burnt. Does anyone know how many quarts of fluid the 5.3L needs and what kind I should get as well as what Filter I should get. Thanks in advance

Old 01-14-2013, 06:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would recommend going to your local trans shop for a proper Filter and fluid change on your transmission...It usually runs around $75.00 but it ends up being money well spent IMO.

Dont go to an oil change place .... There just going to reverse flush the system..which usually damages the filter and transmission...

Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
I would recommend going to your local trans shop for a proper Filter and fluid change on your transmission...It usually runs around $75.00 but it ends up being money well spent IMO.

Dont go to an oil change place .... There just going to reverse flush the system..which usually damages the filter and transmission...
Lol oh trust me I had never planned on going to an oil change place. I had just planned on buying all the stuff myself and then going to a shop to have it done. I just have no clue how much trans fluid I need, what kind, what filter, etc.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
Lol oh trust me I had never planned on going to an oil change place. I had just planned on buying all the stuff myself and then going to a shop to have it done. I just have no clue how much trans fluid I need, what kind, what filter, etc.
Generally:
Most shops wont allow you to bring your own parts etc...
They prefer to use there own or order them from a supplier they use.
But generally around 7 quarts... I dont know an exact part number...

What state are you from?

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-14-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM
1 Year Member

Yea that makes sense. You wouldn't by chance happen to know if it would be a whole lot more if I just went to a Chevy dealership and just had them put all new factory stuff in it would you? Also I'm from North Carolina

Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM

5 Year Member

Yea that makes sense. You wouldn't by chance happen to know if it would be a whole lot more if I just went to a Chevy dealership and just had them put all new factory stuff in it would you? Also I'm from North Carolina
IMO:
I try to avoid the dealer at all costs.... But if you have delt with a specific dealer in the past that you trust....Then by all means...

Me personally, I prefer a Transmission shop, because thats what they do all day everyday. Like the one I use...for instance..not only do they do a fluid and filter change for me..They also scan the trans to besure everything is functioning as it should...solenoids shift points etc...
I have each of my 3 vehicles trans fluid and filters changed once a year whether it needs it or not.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
1 Year Member

I got you, I really appreciate. I'll see if I can track down some place like that

Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM

5 Year Member

I got you, I really appreciate. I'll see if I can track down some place like that
Your welcome.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

or to save some money and if you wanna feel better about your car, id say get the supplies and do it yourself, i know i appreciate my car more when i work on her myself

Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by owens91
or to save some money and if you wanna feel better about your car, id say get the supplies and do it yourself, i know i appreciate my car more when i work on her myself
Trust me I would but I don't have ramps or torque wrenches to do so, if I had the parts needed to do so it would have already been done lol

Quick Reply: Trans help needed