Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

trans acting up. help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy trans acting up. help!

tonight i'm driving around with my buddy. nothin else really to do so we just do some in town driving. couple days ago i just did a quick fluids inspection checkin oil, trans etc. and tonight as i'm driving around all of a sudden i feel a very firm shift. i thought nothin of it at first cause every now and then it'll have a little hiccup. taking off from a stop, firm shift to 2nd and firm to 3rd. and it kept doing that. decided to park it at the buddy's place and have him run me to get some dexronIII trans fluid because it turned out i was below the hatch marks but it wasn't black or smelly or nothin. fill it up to where it needs to be, take it around the block and it's back to normal. great! driving around some more afterwards, cruising at about 45 it upshifts and it feels like it was slipping a little bit. a little while later accelerating from a stop sign, i felt a slip and a pretty firm jerk. what's going on here? is my trans on the fritz? here are a couple factors to keep in mind:

the car is an 05 with 94,000 miles
4T65E
trans was just flushed back in december
i baby this car and it hardly ever sees WOT
no visible leaks on the ground or around the trans cover or cooling lines
very rarely have i ever spun the wheels
started happening out of no where.
i just spent 5g's on it in december! ugh!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:11 AM

Hi `Drew,
Sorry 2 read that you are having prob's with your trans
I've read several articles on transmission flushing &
many have had problems after their transmission
was flushed. I don't know `if this is the case with
your problem, but below is one of the links
that explains the problems in transmission flushes.

I suggest that you return your Monte to the mechanic
that did the work on your transmission.
Wish you Good Luck 4-Sure

Old 02-21-2010, 07:17 AM

Diagnose Automatic Transmission Problems

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...a072702a_4.htm

Click above link

Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 PM

I noticed your mileage and you are approaching the point that these transmissions often give up the ghost. I am at 108k and just had to have my tranny rebuilt. Good luck though!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by K-Mac Attack
I noticed your mileage and you are approaching the point that these transmissions often give up the ghost. I am at 108k and just had to have my tranny rebuilt. Good luck though!!!
really? i thought these lasted much longer than that. more like 175k to 200k.

and thanks kidspace. very helpful!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:46 PM

The engines will last for virtually ever as long as you catch the intake and possible head gasket leaks. The stock trans had a fatal flaw with the pressure solenoids that tended to limit the life of them significantly.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 PM

well i got those intake gaskets out of the way. the engine runs as smooth as every

and tonight i drove the car around for about an hour in town and on the interstate. everything seems to be functioning normally today. no slips or grabs or jerks. the fluid is nice and red. no smells. idk i'm confused lol.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:30 AM

so for the past couple days it's been acting up again. but it only seems to do it when accelerating from a stop or a roll and only 1st gear. it feels like a slip and a jerk or maybe it's just a hard downshift from second. i'm not sure what's going on with it but i know it isn't normal. UUUGGHHH!!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 AM

That is what mine would do too. It usually only happens when it warms up. If it is cold it will drive like a champ. Once it hits operating temp then things get dicy with them.

The problem with flushing transmissions is that often the fluid has some of the clutch material mixed in to give it some grit to move...once that is removed the real issues are often exposed. Also it can put gunk in places you don't want it too.

Mine went down hill within a few thousand miles and I finally decided it was better to have the trans rebuilt versus pushing it. It would start grinding from a start and all kinds of fun things. Good luck!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like mine when it started to go around 125/130k

I had a problem with the solenoids and the torque converter by the end of it. I drove on it for like 2 more years with those problems. I just wound up getting a used transmission and swapping it out. Worry about the rebuild when this one goes haha

Quick Reply: trans acting up. help!